Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for true dual owners.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question for true dual owners.

Do you recommend welding the hangers up or using hangers with a bolt through the floorboard and a rubber bushing? I'm concerned about the vibrations, and I've heard that the hangers with the rubber bushing help with that. On the other hand, it would be much easier to pay the guy at the local muffler shop to just tack them up. I'm not really looking forward to pulling my carpet up, drilling a hole in my floorboard, then running a bolt through it, just to hang the damn things.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

taking them is probley easier...I just bolted mine down. But either way is fine.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

honestly bolting them on isn't that hard.....i dont know where the duals you have will bolt to but my Laynes True Duals bolted under the back seat so all i did was took out the seats and put my hand under the carpet to connect the bolts and nuts. it shouldn't be that bad
Old 01-09-2006, 07:19 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are hanging from 3/8" bolts with 2 fender washers (huge washers with 3/8" hole, found them at hardware store) on each one. The nuts i used are ny-loc's. It isnt very hard to bend the capet back a little bit. Remove the sail panels, fold seat down, and pull the carpet toward the dash untill you get where you need to be.

Drill the holes and put the bolts through from INSIDE the car. This way, you can use an impact to remove/reinstall the nuts without having to hold backup (most of the time lol). Might want to have them put a small tack from the body to the bolt so it wont spin if you need to remove the nuts.

I had to unbolt my duals from the hangers when i pulled my tranny the last time because the motor would not tilt far enough to get the top bolts out.

I unbolted my duals 2 days ago and re-hung them for a little more clearance. I placed a pipe between the dumps, and jacked up the pipe as high as i could. Re-drilled, and re-hung. There is some pics at the bottom of this page.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/433574-true-dual-kit.html

Another thing - if the exhaust guy lays a big enough weld on your floorboard to hold the mufflers to where they wont break loose, you're going to want to pull your carpet back anyway so you dont have to call the fire dept.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Compared to the header install I will be doing just prior to hooking up and hanging my TD's, how much of a PITA is it to bolt them up? Does anyone remember how long it took them to do?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Bolting them on is not that bad. I have mine bolted on with rubber hanngars and they work fine. sure there is vibration but your'e gonna get that anyway. besides if you weld them on good luck getting the exhaust off if you ever need to.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Pull up the carpet? It's under the back seat. I just used a razor blade and cut a small x in the carpet where I felt the drill bit (friend helped from under the car). Then, I just pushed the bolt through. Just make sure to use washers on both sides and a little bit of silicone to keep the exhaust gas out of the car. Took us less than 10 minutes.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by akZ28
... besides if you weld them on good luck getting the exhaust off if you ever need to.
Whoa crap! I didn't even think of that! I'm sold on bolting them up just because of that! Thanks for that.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 AM
That's what she said...

It takes about 10 minutes to yank the carpet back and reinstall it. The sail panels are the only things you have to take out. The other interior body panels are loose enough that you can pull the carpet from under them and stuff it back in.

I like the slitting the carpet idea, i would have probably done that had it not been so easy to pull the carpet back a little.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Bolts can be removed later, and holes sealed up - with silicone, etc.

I wouldn't weld them to the floorboard.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll definately be hanging them with bolts.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do I have to drill holes in the floor to mount my tsp X pipe?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rothman
Do I have to drill holes in the floor to mount my tsp X pipe?
Yes, you do.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn! Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Rothman
Damn! Thanks
Its easy, read the instructions i posted earlier in this thread.