Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bird or Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Bird or Camaro?

If you had to chose between a Trans am or Camaro 98-02, which would it be? Im in a dilemma. I have the option between a 98 Trans am and a 98 Camaro Z28. Everything is the same on the except the bird has 3k less miles on it, but is 2500 more. What is the best way to go?
Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camaro, 3K miles isnt worth the $2500 IMO
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Board Certified Idiot

DO you like the look on the T/a on the OUT side & inside OR do you like the outside & inside of the camaro. its all To ur style and tatse thats WHY GM made 2 of these BABIES . I like the camaro myself But the RamAir Hood on the ws6 or the FIREHAwks make that car really stand out.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Id take the camaro, its a better deal and looks better visually to me. I bought a TA and wish I would have went with a lt1 camaro. But all in all they are both sweet.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I chose the z28 way ahead of the purchase. Mostly because the camaro is less ricey. Don't get me wrong though, I would definitely own a t/a. It didn't hurt that the z28s are a few bucks less than the ta's too. Either way, if it's an ls1, I don't think you will be disappointed :-)
Old 01-10-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

come to think of it though, color and tranny is more important than z or t/a. I was lucky, found the exact combo I had to have and got a decent price!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Shooter Jay, how much did you pay for your hood?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say TRANS AM. I have owned both and the camaro looks to conservative in my opinion. I think the Trans am looks more aggresive than a camaro (especially in stock form). Its your choice if the money is a big deal to you go with the Camaro. Trans ams do seem to sell for a bit more than the camaro's (but thats your benefit if you ever re-sell it). The only real appearance changes between a Z28 and a V6 camaro are the emblems and dual exhaust. The TA comes with a different Front/rear bumber, spoiler and some other minor things than a V6 Firebird. If you get the TA you can easily tell its got a v8 with the camaro its just the emblems and dual exhaust. The camaro is more of a sleeper if thats what you want. Anyone who thinks a TA is rice looking needs to have their eye's checked. The choice is yours, pick the one you like better.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
Shooter Jay, how much did you pay for your hood?
The hood came with the car, along with the borla exhaust

It is a sweet hood though, by suncoast creations. It fits pretty well, but I'm sure it helps that it's all black. If I had to replace it I'd buy the same one. suncoast also has an intake that fits into it perfect too, but mine has the stock airbox. Check that, mine has the whisper intake I think it is, also came with it.

http://www.suncoastcreations.com/ProductGallery.cfm?id=4

not sure how much it costs though.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In terms of the '98-'02 F-cars, I've owned 2 Camaros and 1 Trans Am. In the end, I'd have to say that I like the Camaro better. In my eyes, the Camaro has cleaner lines, and looks more like a muscle car vs the Trans Am looking more like a sports car.

Did I love my T/A? Hell yes. Did I sell it and get another Camaro just because I decided that I liked the Camaro's look better? Absolutely not. I don't like one more than the other enough to justify selling one just to get the other (many other reasons why I sold my WS6). But, if I was given the choice to get either one for free, I'd pick the Camaro.

Having said all that, I still LOVE both the Camaros and T/As, and I am/would be damn proud to own either. There is nothing that actually makes one better than the other, except the eye of the beholder. For every Camaro specific negative, there is a Trans Am specific negative. Same for the positives.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
In terms of the '98-'02 F-cars, I've owned 2 Camaros and 1 Trans Am. In the end, I'd have to say that I like the Camaro better. In my eyes, the Camaro has cleaner lines, and looks more like a muscle car vs the Trans Am looking more like a sports car.

Did I love my T/A? Hell yes. Did I sell it and get another Camaro just because I decided that I liked the Camaro's look better? Absolutely not. I don't like one more than the other enough to justify selling one just to get the other (many other reasons why I sold my WS6). But, if I was given the choice to get either one for free, I'd pick the Camaro.

Having said all that, I still LOVE both the Camaros and T/As, and I am/would be damn proud to own either. There is nothing that actually makes one better than the other, except the eye of the beholder. For every Camaro specific negative, there is a Trans Am specific negative. Same for the positives.
Spoken like a true F-body owner.

At times though I wish I had a SS hood (already have the SS spoiler) I just cant justify the price!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As alot of these guys have already said, it's all about what YOU like. Myself, I pick the WS6 anyday over anything else, hands down...2nd the Firehawk.

I have had two of these cars and could have had a camaro instead of either of them, but for me the choice was clear.

Look up the book on the same year, same mileage, same options, and the birds always book higher than the camaros.

The "right" choice depends on what you think.....GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

T/A for sure.............wonder why...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
Spoken like a true F-body owner.

At times though I wish I had a SS hood (already have the SS spoiler) I just cant justify the price!

I love the SS hood, but because of cost I've forced myself to like the Z28 hood :stubborn:

Rather put the dough into a nitrous system and headers..
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea.. I think im going with the camaro because right now i own a 93 and wouldnt mind owning another one.
THanks for all the imput.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:05 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SCott5
Yea.. I think im going with the camaro because right now i own a 93 and wouldnt mind owning another one.
THanks for all the imput.
My input may be a little late, but like the others have said choose the car based on the styling you like best. Especially if the drivetrain combos are the same.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

How bout comfort inside? I've only had a TA and I LOVE the comfort of the seats, while I sometimes read 'camaro owners complain about the seats in their cars. Are they that different in comfort level or did I just catch a few owners who disliked them more then others?
Also is the Firebird you're looking at a WS6 or does it have the Ram Air hood on it? If so I would grab the bird, no better looking car IMO>
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Also as far as the $2500 price difference........well that's what negotiation is for
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like the t/a a little better, but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it over the camaro (considering all other things equal).

I would guess that you must like something about the t/a better or I really doubt that you would have even considered paying 2500 extra for it.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

$2500 relatively isn't THAT much difference. I would say think of it like this:

Pretend they were both the same exact price, and choose which one you would want. I'd say that would be the one to go with, even if it does end up being the more expensive of the two