Car Running Badly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Running Badly

I raced a srt4 today..

and almost F-ing lost..

it had a bov and a turbo timer and I only beat him by one car...

he said that he was almost choked by my exhaust and how rich the cars running..

first off let me explain the situation with my car being pig *** rich

in the morning I will start the car to get the heat going before I go off to school... and if I leave it there for the normal 10 minutes or so the car will leave blackmarks on my driveway where the tailpipes where.. under moderate acceleration it smokes bad grey/black, it smells like **** and its getting horribe gas mileage..

the car never had this problem until I got a 2.25 inch flowmaster catback put on it.. and yes 2.25 piping to a 2.5 flowmaster muffler..

idk the car just doesnt feel right and it sounds like its farting when I let off the gas in any gear.. I guess thats excess fuel in the pipes..

I figure its from so much ******* backpressure in my exhaust.. or something of the sort because it never had this problems before when running an open Y.. oh yeah I dont have cats.. nor do I have o2 simms

HELP ME!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the car is running like **** probably because the plugs are fouled from running rich
Now as for why it's running rich, got any codes showing, I'd replace the plugs and O2 sensors the front ones, and put sims in the back ones (and dump that blowmaster ASAP)
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search on 'blowmaster' or 'slowmaster' alone and you'll want to dump that exhaust ASAP.

2K2WS6TA is right.. give those things a go.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yeah I dont have cats.. nor do I have o2 simms
Well that just might be your problem If you aren't throwing a code with that setup then something's wrong. When you throw the 02 code your car goes into a rich setting for safety. Go get some sims. I don't see how it's possible that a cat-back could cause you to run rich like that. Pull a couple plugs. They will most likely be black.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having had a flowmaster on my camaro I can tell you from experianc that the flowmast is robbing you of some torque and I would never recomend anything less then 3inch tips at least get rid of the 2.5 tips. Get the loudmouth and the flowmaster doesn't seem as loud.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
Well that just might be your problem If you aren't throwing a code with that setup then something's wrong. When you throw the 02 code your car goes into a rich setting for safety. Go get some sims. I don't see how it's possible that a cat-back could cause you to run rich like that. Pull a couple plugs. They will most likely be black.
The rear o2's not having sims should not make it run rich should it? It def should throw a code, but cause no performance problems to my knowledge.