Sponsored by:

Oil w/ metal shavings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil w/ metal shavings?

Im looking to see what oil I should use for the following situation-

I bought my buddies complete longblock - ls6 intake,svo's,ARE S2 heads, 226/234-112,978's, ported TB, dual timing chain, oil pump, etc...

Its a LS1 block with a LS1 PCV. I did the LS6 PCV conversion that involves cutting off the boss. I had the valley well covered in rags, as well as a vacuum running catching the shavings from the cutoff wheel. I then wiped down the valley and then blew it down with compressed air. Nonetheless, Im sure there are little bits of metal floating around.

Im trying to figure out what to do about oil, as the motor is well broken in, just with some metal needing to be flushed.

Im tempted to buy 6 quarts of cheap (dinosaur) 5w30 and run that for 10-15 minutes with a new filter, then do an oil change and go to Mobil1 5w30 and a new filter.

Suggestions?

-Jason
Old 01-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be pouring cheap oil in the valley with the oil plug removed trying to flush all the abrasive wheel particles and crap out of it. Dust from the cutoff wheel is bad stuff. I would really try to do whatever it takes to flush that stuff out before I ever cranked it and put any of that stuff through the bearings.

Quick Reply: Oil w/ metal shavings?