LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pacesetter Midtubes fit with stock y-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacesetter Midtubes fit with stock y-pipe?

I was just wondering since the y-pipe that comes with the headers needs to be welded, could you just put the headers on yourself, then go to an exhaust shop to weld on the new y pipe?

But then again I think the mid tubes won't fit the stock y pipe. Think I could just clamp(?) the y pipe on there then get it welded? I can install the headers myself but I just can't weld.

Sorry if its a stupid question. Thanks anyway.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'd have to modify the headers and the y-pipe. the headers (for a single cat car anyway) use a 2 bolt ball flange unlike the factory 3 bolt flange on the manifolds.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well when i put mine on i have a 95 single cat i installed the headers then mocked up the length of the y pipe to the cat and took a sawzall and cut the pipe in front of the cat where i needed it.I put the y pipe on the pass side is a PITA getting to the bolts use a swivel the y pipe is a 2 piece slip fit i installed the whole exhaust and used one of those stainless steel band clamps on both slip fit parts no leaks and no welding required.I do have a welder to weld it but its so much easier to loosen a couple of clamps and remove the y pipe for future removal other wise if you decide to do other mods later in the future like i did you will be taking trips back and forth to the muffler shop.Those stainless steel band clamp work really well IMO.