LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hooker Aerochamber? Or Full Hooker Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Aerochamber? Or Full Hooker Catback?

Well, my car is back running like a champ, after a fresh opti, had to go with GM replacement . New plugs/wires, fuel filter, cleaned injectors, cleaned Cold Air filter etc. And the car is running better than ever, now... once I pay off the $700 I owe; I plan on doing my exhaust. It will probably be another month or two, but I'm trying to do it as affordable as possible, with the results I'm looking for.

I'm debating weather to just run the Hooker Aerochamber muffler, with Pacesetter LT's in the future, and a Pacesetter off-road Y-pipe, now or in the future. And I'm also considering running the Full Hooker Catback instead, basically I don't see the point in paying $300 bucks for a Catback, when I can buy Muffler, which is the most important part, For like $80. Because I have 2 3/4 inch piping from the factory, it shouldn't make much of a difference to switch to 3. And I should be able to run header reducers when I get LT's to fit the stock piping.

Also... would it be possible to order the muffler, and the Pacesetter ORY, or just order the muffler now, and worry about the ORY, and the LT's when I have the money to do both at once? I really don't want to stay with my crappy muffler until I can save up 500-600 bucks for LT's/Y-Pipe. And 80 bucks for a couple of horses, and better sound, with a huge improvement after my full exhaust, is pretty appealing at the moment. Of course if I don't order the Catback, my exhaust won't be as pretty, but in my eyes... piping is piping. And the weight couldn't make a huge difference.

What do you think? Order the Catback, or just the muffler, and worry about LT's and ORY later?
Old 01-11-2006, 02:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Renegade
I don't see the point in paying $300 bucks for a Catback, when I can buy Muffler, which is the most important part, For like $80.
I feel the same way now. To bad I already bought the catback a year ago. I'd jut get the muffler.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 AM
11 Second Club

Muffler + cutout IMO
Old 01-11-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you're gonna do headers, get the full 3" cat-back. Keeping the stock 2-3/4 intermediate pipe will really hurt power once you get the headers & y-pipe. And don't waste money buying the headers or y-pipe ahead of time unless you find an incredible deal. Best I found so far was Texas Speed selling the coated headers for $375 plus shipping(around $25) and Neweraperformance selling the y-pipe for $129 shipped.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

I was also wondering the same thing? Id rather buy the muffler, cutout, and a nice set of exhaust tips...
Old 01-11-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by QWIKWS6
I was also wondering the same thing? Id rather buy the muffler, cutout, and a nice set of exhaust tips...
That's a fine way to do it. My car has the stock I-pipe and a Dynomax Ultraflow, new tailpipes and stainless tips.

I have 3" from the Y pipe to the cut out and then it goes into the stock I pipe for over-axle into the muffler. Its about 11 HP difference with the cutout open.

I honestly don't think the 2.75 pipe hurts that much, and if go longtubes you'll end up hacking up the 3" I pipe from the cat back anyway....why spend money on pipe you're just going to cut anyway?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
That's a fine way to do it. My car has the stock I-pipe and a Dynomax Ultraflow, new tailpipes and stainless tips.

I have 3" from the Y pipe to the cut out and then it goes into the stock I pipe for over-axle into the muffler. Its about 11 HP difference with the cutout open.

I honestly don't think the 2.75 pipe hurts that much, and if go longtubes you'll end up hacking up the 3" I pipe from the cat back anyway....why spend money on pipe you're just going to cut anyway?
Did you notice that the end of the stock y-pipe is only 2-1/2" so going to 3" won't help much unless you remove that 2-1/2" restriction. When you do headers and 3" y-pipe and you have true 3" all the way back that will make a much bigger difference in power. Just putting a muffler on the stock 2-3/4" I-pipe won't do much of anything to increase power so it's a waste of money. Just look at the optional SLP exhaust on the 96-97 SS cars, it only added 5 hp. Either do the 3" cat-back or do nothing until you're ready for headers. Of course, you can do the muffler just for the change of sound, but that's a personal preference of what you like.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

I have a Pacesetter O/R Y-pipe for $35 if anyone wants it
Old 01-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Teching In

pm sent to mattz28 on ory,

personaly i love my hooker cat back, i didn't mind spending the extra money for it. Of coarse i only paid for half anyways.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I might just cough up the money for the full 3' catback. But if I'm going to do it, I might as well spend all the money I have, and go with the full LT's, ORY, Catback... and I've even considered a cut-out, they are only 40-50 bucks. And good for a couple of horsies, and a mean sound.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

If you want mean try the true duals. I know it's been beat to death but you can do it for next to nothing. If you just do the pipes without the X pipe, you've got $80 in two Dynomax bullets, and about $50 in pipe and welding (I realize this is dependent on location and the shop). The only other cost is the headers themselves and some collectors for backside of the headers (for the pipe to weld to).