Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7000 RPM camshaft with shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7000 RPM camshaft with shorty headers

I have a 2000 ls1 in my 1991 RX7 with a LS6 intake, ASP pulley, JBA shorty headers to gutted catalytic converters and a custom 2.5" y-pipe to a 3" single out w/ bullet muffler. It also has a TCI SSF 4000 stall and 4.10 gears. I cannot change the gear ratio and the largest tire I can run is a 27" at the track. Car has about 2900 # raceweight.

I wanted to put a camshaft in the car that I can rev to 7000 rpm so I can hold 3rd gear longer (currently shifting into OD way before the traps). Right now there is no long tube header I can put on the car.. in 4-6 months one will probably be available though.

I was looking into the thunder CHEATR camshaft because it says it works well with stock manifolds and is relatively mild on the street. I called thunder racing and the tech guy said it wouldn't make power to 7000 but he didn't seem super knowledgable on the camshaft..

I also have a old set of mms stage 2 heads I can throw on the car right now that are milled .030 and have larger 2.02 1.57 valves. The flow probably around 285 cfm. I'd like to not have to flycut the pistons.

Anyone have any suggestions on the CHEATR or any other cam I can get away with on shorty headers for now?

I have a G5X3/114 camshaft sitting here but I am afraid if I put it in the car that it will puke and die because of the restrictive exhaust on the car. I am most concerned with making power from 4000-up and don't care about low end power. I know if I went with the G5X3 I would have to flycut with the heads I have as well.

Anyone have a cheater and rev it really high? 6800+? I figured a cool streetable setup would be a cheater+my heads+katech rodbolts and rev it really high. If I could upgrade my converter and lock it up on the top I might be able to see 130+.. right now I'm already seeing 121 traps in 4th gear.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aram
I have a 2000 ls1 in my 1991 RX7 with a LS6 intake, ASP pulley, JBA shorty headers to gutted catalytic converters and a custom 2.5" y-pipe to a 3" single out w/ bullet muffler. It also has a TCI SSF 4000 stall and 4.10 gears. I cannot change the gear ratio and the largest tire I can run is a 27" at the track. Car has about 2900 # raceweight.

I wanted to put a camshaft in the car that I can rev to 7000 rpm so I can hold 3rd gear longer (currently shifting into OD way before the traps). Right now there is no long tube header I can put on the car.. in 4-6 months one will probably be available though.

I was looking into the thunder CHEATR camshaft because it says it works well with stock manifolds and is relatively mild on the street. I called thunder racing and the tech guy said it wouldn't make power to 7000 but he didn't seem super knowledgable on the camshaft..

I also have a old set of mms stage 2 heads I can throw on the car right now that are milled .030 and have larger 2.02 1.57 valves. The flow probably around 285 cfm. I'd like to not have to flycut the pistons.

Anyone have any suggestions on the CHEATR or any other cam I can get away with on shorty headers for now?

I have a G5X3/114 camshaft sitting here but I am afraid if I put it in the car that it will puke and die because of the restrictive exhaust on the car. I am most concerned with making power from 4000-up and don't care about low end power. I know if I went with the G5X3 I would have to flycut with the heads I have as well.

Anyone have a cheater and rev it really high? 6800+? I figured a cool streetable setup would be a cheater+my heads+katech rodbolts and rev it really high. If I could upgrade my converter and lock it up on the top I might be able to see 130+.. right now I'm already seeing 121 traps in 4th gear.

You'll need lightweight valves and retainers to spin to 7k. Email me if you need any help. jason@katechengines.com

Quick Reply: 7000 RPM camshaft with shorty headers