Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this OIL in my coolant........?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this OIL in my coolant........?

It was wrapped around the spring, its just sludgy and gooey feeling.

So, what does it mean. Do I need to buy a new stroker engine, go ahead, gimmie a reason

http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/uploa...lant%20001.jpg

http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/uploa...lant%20002.jpg

http://www.cryo-laboratory.com/uploa...lant%20003.jpg
Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

is it kinda reddish? looks like what was on my cap when my coolant was really old. got a pic with better light on it? not tryin to be picky. just looks black to me.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rebelord
is it kinda reddish? looks like what was on my cap when my coolant was really old. got a pic with better light on it? not tryin to be picky. just looks black to me.

Ski
Its pure black, no reddish color at all.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

when you pull your rad. cap off do you see any oil floating in there? or is it just on the cap? did you pull your dipstick and see what that looks like? anything weird under the oil fill cap?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like rubber to me. But its hard to tell. Is it rubbery like rubber, or squishy like mud? I'd say you have a head gasket issue as said before. I would pull the heads and check it out. Did you even do a compression/leak down test?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

when you pull your rad. cap off do you see any oil floating in there? or is it just on the cap? did you pull your dipstick and see what that looks like? anything weird under the oil fill cap?
Usually just on the cap and the seal of the cap. Sometimes I see little tiny pieces floating right there at the top, but I think they're there because I just took the top off and they fell in.

Dipstick is checked every couple days and looks completely normal always. I changed my oil filter yesterday and the oil that came out was normal looking.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
That looks like rubber to me. But its hard to tell. Is it rubbery like rubber, or squishy like mud? I'd say you have a head gasket issue as said before. I would pull the heads and check it out. Did you even do a compression/leak down test?
Mike Norris is the closest person to me, 3 hour drive north of here. I'll have to go to the dealer I guess for the leakdown check. Do I look for bubbles coming up from the radiator filler neck during the leakdown check?

If I do a radiator pressure test and it is a blown head gasket, won't the pressure test blow coolant into the cylinder and fill it with coolant? If I start it after that couldn't I hydro-lock my engine.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

you just need to find a good shop that can do the pressure test for you. crap, if i was there not stuck here in Yuma, I would do if for ya. all you need is a air compressor, adapter and gauge.. its easy to do. trying to remember which dealerhsip down there has the dyno..they could do it. Kelly chevrolet? not sure. check on the Sffba.net board..they have some posts with the dealership. Or ask Ed2001ss or bootyTa on there.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest taking a sample of oil and sending it off to a lab, they'll know instantly whether or not you've got any coolant in your oil. And if you've got coolant in your oil, chances are good you'll have oil in your coolant too.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Patman
I'd suggest taking a sample of oil and sending it off to a lab, they'll know instantly whether or not you've got any coolant in your oil. And if you've got coolant in your oil, chances are good you'll have oil in your coolant too.
where's a lab at????
Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

you just need to find a good shop that can do the pressure test for you. crap, if i was there not stuck here in Yuma, I would do if for ya. all you need is a air compressor, adapter and gauge.. its easy to do. trying to remember which dealerhsip down there has the dyno..they could do it. Kelly chevrolet? not sure. check on the Sffba.net board..they have some posts with the dealership. Or ask Ed2001ss or bootyTa on there.

Ski
Yeah, I'll call Kelly Chevrolet, I know a guy that does their dyno tuning. His name is Angel.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

check with Kelly Chevy also about the oil analysis. They might know of someone. If not..try checking around the airport area, there is probally one for the some of the comuter planes out there. I know there used to be one near Opa Loka airport, but that was years ago.

Ski
Old 01-11-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

check with Kelly Chevy also about the oil analysis. They might know of someone. If not..try checking around the airport area, there is probally one for the some of the comuter planes out there. I know there used to be one near Opa Loka airport, but that was years ago.

Ski
Cool. How much does an analysis cost?