Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Did something break?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did something break?

I was out cleaning the underside of the car today - everything up in the air, wheels off, ect. I go to put the rear passenger side wheel on, and notice something is moving. I double-check to make sure the ebrake is on, and the car is out of gear. The part that's moving is the hub, I'm assuming, that the wheel actually bolts to - with the ebrake on and the calipers firmly clamped down, I can grab the wheel studs and actualy rotate them until they contact the holes in the rotor (where the studs pass through). The driver's side has no play in it, and I've never noticed this before when putting the wheels back on. I haven't noticed anything abnormal as far as noises, driving the car, ect, but I'm worried something might be broken, or on the way out. Is some play, like I have, normal? If not, what might be broken?

Just to elaborate on the problem a bit, I pulled the caliper and rotor off, and it feels like I can spin the wheel studs about 3/4" of an inch before I really feel anything start moving - like there's play before it engages the axle.

Last edited by Element; 01-12-2006 at 02:59 PM.