Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an LS2 pan better than an LS1 pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is an LS2 pan better than an LS1 pan?

In my travels I heard that an LS2 pan has better oil control, holds more oil, and eliminates the wings. I believe it said the oil control was especially better under cornering.

Is that true?

Does an LS2 pan fit an LS1 without a problem?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes better, yes fit an LS1. here are some pics in this post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....19&postcount=3

Dont know if it will fit an f-body
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
In my travels I heard that an LS2 pan has better oil control, holds more oil, and eliminates the wings. I believe it said the oil control was especially better under cornering.

Is that true?

Does an LS2 pan fit an LS1 without a problem?
Marketing hype....might be better in roundy-round stuff but even that I doubt. Wheres all the oil in the new pan going to go under a hard launch or acceleration?? (Answer: all over the back of your crank and rotating assembly causing serious windage issues and costing power....not to mention turning all the oil into an aerated milkshake). There is no baffling keeping the oil in the pan....check out the standard LS1/LS6 style pan with the wings....the top is covered, trick baffles everywhere....a very complex piece to build. IMO, GM saved a bunch making that quick one piece "as cast" piece with no extra baffling except for the wings cast in the bottom. I bet they cut their oil pan cost by 70%....a huge savings for the bean counters when you consider how many LS2 vettes they are going to produce.

I purchased an LS2 pan because I believed the hype and knew it would be much easier to pull my shortblock out of the top of my Vette (not dropping the cradle) without the wings of the LS1 style pan in the way. I ended up building a top tray with one way louvers (to let oil back in) and spent a bunch of time getting it to control oil at least as good as the pan I removed. The reason I decided to invest the time is I know I am going to be installing at least three different engines in this car over the next 2 years and I wanted the install and removal of all three to go smoothly from the top, plus, there is alot more room for custom larger tube headers if the winged pan was removed.

Anyway...to swap to this pan in a drag racing application would be a serious mistake, and to be honest, I dont think there is any application where it would shine over the original design.

Just my .02 and take on the situation...

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 01-13-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have a vette and dont drag race

Just like GM to cut corners, no wonder the LS2 intake is the way it is, have you seen the inside of one?

Quick Reply: Is an LS2 pan better than an LS1 pan?