Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build sheet or BOM for a ground up LSX motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Build sheet or BOM for a ground up LSX motor?

Hi to everyone here. I am looking at the options and constraints in terms of going to an LSX motor for my pro-touring car. I am not going to ask the “what motor is best” line of questioning, but a build sheet or BOM of proven parts in a specific configuration may very well be something that is available and realistic. Here goes….

I am looking for approximately 700 to 750 HP at the crank. I am leaning toward a 402 or 414 CID setup. I would love to be able to do a dry sump system, but I understand that it is costly and difficult to do on the LS1 and LS2. If it were a reasonable option, I would go for that. Supercharged is the first option with turbocharging coming in as a possibility. Good internals (maybe use a Luinati kit), good heads (probably choose aftermarket heads) and a good ECM (FAST or ???). Other parts and bolt on parts like the water pump, belt system and so on would be OEM or aftermarket, I am not too picky. The trans will likely be a T56 with a quartermaster multi disc clutch. Right now, I am planning to buy all new parts as opposed to starting with a donor car.

A few constraints-
• Weight should be kept to a minimum- Aluminum block, heads, bolt ons etc….
• I do not want to have to tune the thing every time I turn around. I am looking for something that is going to be streetable and reliable. Of course I understand that running the crap out of it on a daily basis is not going to promote reliability; I will seldom get to drive it, but when I have the chance, I do not want to have to tinker with a lot of stuff.

I am not going to constrain this by adding a lot of details- there are clearly some very skilled and experienced folks here who I believe will have a pretty good handle on the parts, costs and so on…

The car that this will be for is a bit unusual. 69 Camaro RS body on a tube chassis. Currently using a 383 with a carb and a 4 speed trans. Hacked Jag IRS, fuel cell and the works. A pretty neat car. Weight with a tank of gas is right at 2860 pounds.

If you like, you can see the car on the website below. Please understand that the vids were taken last year right after the car was delivered. It had maybe 2 hours of time on it then and we were just playing around a little, but also being careful to see that all the bolts were actually tight. Viewing the vids is best done by saving them to your PC.
www.rscamaro.com

There is also some detail on another site- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/783882

So, can anyone help me out by sharing their build sheet and costing so that I have a good baseline to go by?

Comments welcome and appreciated.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Your 700 flywheel horsepower puts you well beyond a H/C car. You will need to find a builder that can put together a turbo/sc set up as you said. You might want to post in the forced induction section and raise the question there.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Katech built LS7 for NA power. I don't think they have got 700 crank hp yet out of the LS7 but they aren't too far off.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/434102-katech-built-ls7-makes-655hp-579ft-lbs-na.html
Old 01-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Teching In

To clarify- I am talking about a supercharged motor.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phaseshift
Hi to everyone here. I am looking at the options and constraints in terms of going to an LSX motor for my pro-touring car. I am not going to ask the “what motor is best” line of questioning, but a build sheet or BOM of proven parts in a specific configuration may very well be something that is available and realistic. Here goes….

I am looking for approximately 700 to 750 HP at the crank. I am leaning toward a 402 or 414 CID setup. I would love to be able to do a dry sump system, but I understand that it is costly and difficult to do on the LS1 and LS2. If it were a reasonable option, I would go for that. Supercharged is the first option with turbocharging coming in as a possibility. Good internals (maybe use a Luinati kit), good heads (probably choose aftermarket heads) and a good ECM (FAST or ???). Other parts and bolt on parts like the water pump, belt system and so on would be OEM or aftermarket, I am not too picky. The trans will likely be a T56 with a quartermaster multi disc clutch. Right now, I am planning to buy all new parts as opposed to starting with a donor car.

A few constraints-
• Weight should be kept to a minimum- Aluminum block, heads, bolt ons etc….
• I do not want to have to tune the thing every time I turn around. I am looking for something that is going to be streetable and reliable. Of course I understand that running the crap out of it on a daily basis is not going to promote reliability; I will seldom get to drive it, but when I have the chance, I do not want to have to tinker with a lot of stuff.

I am not going to constrain this by adding a lot of details- there are clearly some very skilled and experienced folks here who I believe will have a pretty good handle on the parts, costs and so on…

The car that this will be for is a bit unusual. 69 Camaro RS body on a tube chassis. Currently using a 383 with a carb and a 4 speed trans. Hacked Jag IRS, fuel cell and the works. A pretty neat car. Weight with a tank of gas is right at 2860 pounds.

If you like, you can see the car on the website below. Please understand that the vids were taken last year right after the car was delivered. It had maybe 2 hours of time on it then and we were just playing around a little, but also being careful to see that all the bolts were actually tight. Viewing the vids is best done by saving them to your PC.
www.rscamaro.com

There is also some detail on another site- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/783882

So, can anyone help me out by sharing their build sheet and costing so that I have a good baseline to go by?

Comments welcome and appreciated.

We can build a streetable package for you that would include a calibration. You can contact me at jason@katechengines.com

Quick Reply: Build sheet or BOM for a ground up LSX motor?