Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea I thought of for ftra/ssra owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idea I thought of for ftra owners

I know people have mentioned that while sitting in traffic, the ducting gets heatsoaked and your iat's get pretty high. I just have the fra mod and mine iat gets high as well. So I got to thinking, how could the duct still maintain the stuctural rigidity of sheetmetal, yet have the low thermal absorbtion characteristics of plastic? Simple..coat it in plastic. But whats an easy way to coat it in plastic? Roll on truck bedliners. If the entire piece were coated with cheap roll on truck bedliner like from Autozone, I don't believe it would be able to warm up near as much. It would also most likely not melt off, because that stuff sits in the summer sun without problems. What do you guys think? Anyone got a few bucks and wanna try it out?

Last edited by taintedmeat; 01-13-2006 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing though hot summer sun = 100+ degrees or so, depending on where you are at. Don't the temps by the radiator reach upwards of 150+ while sitting still?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hurley711
One thing though hot summer sun = 100+ degrees or so, depending on where you are at. Don't the temps by the radiator reach upwards of 150+ while sitting still?
Probably. I thought the main issue was that the duct itself actually absorbs heat from the radiator, in turn, heating the air it collects in the process.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

I believe it is more an issue of blocking the radiator than anything else. Thus not allowing enough air for cooling.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

First off, the SSRA is plastic - not metal. Second, with the lower piece connected, I don't think I've ever seen temps more than 30* warmer than the temp the weather man gave. A majority of the heat seen from the IAT sensor comes from the MAF side. If temps get up relatively high, one if not both of your fans will come on and suck air through the radiator. Heat will (for the most part) follow the airflow (think hair dryer). When you stick your hand in front of the inlet, it's not hot even with the electric coil less than an inch from your hand. Same goes for our intakes with the FRA mod/FTRA/etc. You're pulling air from in front of the radiator...not the back.