Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SS hood scoops

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS hood scoops

I am just wondering if an SS hood scoop bought off of eBay will look as good as a real SS hood? Here is an example --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMAR...spagenameZWDVW

I would imagine that it would look good on my 98 Z28 if I did a good job of using fiberglass to put the scoop on and then had it painted. Has anyone seen one of these installed? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

I asked a similar question a few months ago and the general consensus was don't waste your time. Everyone said it would crack the first time you opened the hood wrong.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply Zeus.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ARCTICWHITE98Z28
I am just wondering if an SS hood scoop bought off of eBay will look as good as a real SS hood? Here is an example --> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMAR...spagenameZWDVW

I would imagine that it would look good on my 98 Z28 if I did a good job of using fiberglass to put the scoop on and then had it painted. Has anyone seen one of these installed? Thanks.
I thought about doing this but got the real thing instead. Very happy with the OEM SS Hood.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

Don't be gay. Buy a real hood. You might as well buy the Lund stick on scoop. Same level of gayness to me. Bonded on scoops never look right 99% of the time.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GETGONE
Bonded on scoops never look right 99% of the time.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Regular

Don't be gay. Buy a real hood. You might as well buy the Lund stick on scoop. Same level of gayness to me. Bonded on scoops never look right 99% of the time.
Thanks for your input buttwipe. Not everyone wants to spend large amounts of money on non-functioning appearance mods. Some people want an inexpensive way to achieve similar results.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

I'm a cheap bastard myself, and I wish there was some way to get a cheap, I mean affordable SS hood, but sadly we must take the plunge if we want the result.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think it would be worth it. prolly the same for a oem hood. or aftermarket ss hood. if u buy the scoop, then u gotta get it fiberglassed/attached to the car, then painted, lots of money there
Old 01-14-2006, 06:37 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
I'm a cheap bastard myself, and I wish there was some way to get a cheap, I mean affordable SS hood, but sadly we must take the plunge if we want the result.
Check out our sale on hoods thread in the sponsor section of this fourm. I might be able to sell you one for less Rex
Old 01-14-2006, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zeus
Thanks for your input buttwipe. Not everyone wants to spend large amounts of money on non-functioning appearance mods. Some people want an inexpensive way to achieve similar results.
I always say do it right or don't do it at all. I'd keep a stock Z hood before half assing a scoop onto it. I've seen them done lots of times and they never look right. By the time you pay someone to bond the scoop(assuming you don't have the tools/knowledge to do it yourself) and have someone paint it you'll be within a $100-200 of what a real hood would cost. If you want to be cheap, find a used hood.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always say do it right or don't do it at all. I'd keep a stock Z hood before half assing a scoop onto it. I've seen them done lots of times and they never look right. By the time you pay someone to bond the scoop(assuming you don't have the tools/knowledge to do it yourself) and have someone paint it you'll be within a $100-200 of what a real hood would cost. If you want to be cheap, find a used hood.
Well said, I agree. Really just buying an aftermarket hood should outweigh the time, money and effort of just a scoop alone. It's ultimately up to you though since it is your car.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:27 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

I have several different makes and modles of hoods that are either damaged in freight or returned that I will soon be offering on ebay for a real deal like maybe $150.00 or so Rex
Old 01-15-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
Exactly, right on. With f-bodies, if you want a hood that will look decent and fit okay, you pretty much have to just drop the money for it. It's nothing to take offense to when people tell you this, it's just the truth in this case.

By the time you pay someone to bond the scoop(assuming you don't have the tools/knowledge to do it yourself) and have someone paint it you'll be within a $100-200 of what a real hood would cost. If you want to be cheap, find a used hood.
This guy is right as well. By the time you have someone put it on so that it doesn't look like **** and then have it painted, you're going to be right there about at the same cost as the actual hood itself.

We're just giving you the truth here. If it were that easy to just slap a scoop on, more people like us would do it. However, it's a ridiculous thing to do, so we just tell you that straight up.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Funtionless appearance mods...it's too...."rice"... It's best to have bite with your bark. It'd be kinda humiliating explaining such a mod to anyone...cuz you would need a pretty good explaination. "It would cost too much for the real thing" just doesnt cut it. I understand what you're thinking tho, and let me say that nobody here's trying to make fun of you for looking at fake scoops. "To each his own" afterall. I have a Z28 and envy the SS scoop, but I'm going to wait till I have the money to spend on something trivial like a replacement hood.