Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump R&R on C5 ?

Old 01-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pump R&R on C5 ?

Has anyone done this with the engine in a C5? The book/dealer says the front suspension/cradle has to drop. LS1Howto.com shows the install on a Camaro and you only have to drop the oil pan about an inch. to access the pick up tube bolt. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Restricted User

Remove the steering so you can remove the balancer then you can remove the front cover so that you can get to the pump. You don't have to drop the pan any.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
Remove the steering so you can remove the balancer then you can remove the front cover so that you can get to the pump. You don't have to drop the pan any.
I agree....no need to drop the pan at all. Just dont drop the little 10 mm bolt holding the pickup into the oil pump and dont forget some red-loctite on the reinstall.

Jim....Why are you wanting to get to your oil pump??....alot of work if your not already involved in a cam swap etc.

Tony
Old 01-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

0 oil pressure at up start for 10-15 seconds and then pressure builds to somewhat normal after that. It's at the dealer now and they say bad oil pump. I have an extended warranty but they probably will give me hell and plus the dealer wants almost $400 out of my pocket to pay for moving my LT headers out of the way to access the starter motor etc. Plaus I have a $100 deductable on the extended warranty. Maybe I can do it myself and only spend $100 on a new pump.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmzvet
0 oil pressure at up start for 10-15 seconds and then pressure builds to somewhat normal after that. It's at the dealer now and they say bad oil pump. I have an extended warranty but they probably will give me hell and plus the dealer wants almost $400 out of my pocket to pay for moving my LT headers out of the way to access the starter motor etc. Plaus I have a $100 deductable on the extended warranty. Maybe I can do it myself and only spend $100 on a new pump.
Is it necessary to remove the starter motor?

Search this Thread