Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time to change the plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time to change the plugs?

well guys my brother-in-law's catr seems to take a fat **** everytime enen the most mild of mod is done his latest adventure involves removing the cats.

full story here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/433533-o2-sims-installed-ses-light-still.html

my question is how the hell do you get to the plugs on the f-bodys? especially the back ones? anything special or is it just time consuming? any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

to da tizzop
Old 01-13-2006, 11:17 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically take out as much **** as you can to help you get to them. Then pray.

www.installuniversity.com
Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Easier link http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 01-13-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

It's pretty easy to do the plugs with the coil packs out of the way. Don't try and fight them, you'll waste alot of time. I just take the coils off and hug the block with a shorty ratchet for #8.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Longtubes and having the AIR system removed makes changing plugs a hell of a lot easier. I get #1-7 from the top and go under the car for #8. Never removed the coil packs.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by CRL 01 SS
Longtubes and having the AIR system removed makes changing plugs a hell of a lot easier. I get #1-7 from the top and go under the car for #8. Never removed the coil packs.
Agreed. I had mine out and back in again in about 40 minutes.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by THE_SUPRA
well guys my brother-in-law's catr seems to take a fat **** everytime enen the most mild of mod is done his latest adventure involves removing the cats.

full story here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433533

my question is how the hell do you get to the plugs on the f-bodys? especially the back ones? anything special or is it just time consuming? any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
The passenger side is the hardest, with the #8 bastard being the worst. Do yourself a favor and spend $14.99 at Home depot, Husky Pro Indexable Ratchet. I am certainly no great mechanic, this tool will have all 4 plugs on the passengers side out and back in about 15-20 minutes with NO struggle at all. The drivers side is a cake walk, another 15 minutes and you're done.

Here's what the tool looks like (check link), the Husky tool is a little different but does the exact same job. #8 plug...Pull the plug wires off, reach back with your left hand and attach the spark plug socket, then again with your left hand connect the ratchet to the socket, than with your right hand break it free and ratchet it out. Its almost effortless. The rest of the plugs are pretty much easy going. Hopefully the last person to put the plugs in didn't crank the **** out of them, thats the only thing that makes #8 hard to get out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fabrication/426342-indexible-head-ratchet-8-spark-plug-out-back-5-minutes.html