Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning Oil/ Oil around throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning Oil/ Oil around throttle body

Hey guys, went ahead and was playing around with a few things under the hood after last night. Anyways, last night I took her too 100 mph, and smelled burning oil. Now I normally smell a little bit, but this time it was a bit stronger. I checked around the throttle body today and there was some caked oil around the butterfly valve on the throttle body. Anyways, a buddy said to replace the PCV tube, and I did.

Now I'm wondering if there are any other things that may be causing this?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Many LS1s tend to suck oil into the intake from the PCV system. Some people use catch cans to capture the oil and stop it from entering the intake. Others run different PCV valves (with a smaller orfice) to try and stop it, and still some others convert to the LS6 style PCV system.

I used to have an oil catch can on my WS6, in addition to running the smaller orfice PCV valve and mounting the valve vertically, becuase it seemed to use a lot of oil through the PCV system. On the other hand, my Camaro uses basically no oil at all, so I never bothered to put a catch can on it, however once in a while there is a tiny bit of oil film on the back of the TB blade, but nothing really significant.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm I might try to get a new tube and mount it vertically as you say. I don't quite understand the catch can option. I wonder if the PCV is the culprit of my oil smell the other night. As I put a new PCV on and it's much more horizontalm, and slightly shorter than the stocker
Old 01-15-2006, 12:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

The catch cans are basically an oil/air separator. You attach it in-line with the PCV system and the idea is that the oil will drop to the bottom of the can (some of the catch cans have a mesh-type filter media to further stop the oil) and the air will pass through.

It does work to trap some oil, or at least mine did, and I didn't even have one with the mesh in it.

As for the PCV valve itself, the replacement should be the same size as the stocker. If you're in doubt about its correctness, the GM part number for an LS1 PCV valve is 25179136. Price is about $7.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks man, I'll have to check that out. I apreciate it

Quick Reply: Burning Oil/ Oil around throttle body