Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!Air !EGR w/out ses light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !Air !EGR w/out ses light?

Has anyone had luck removing the air/egr and preventing the ses light without a tune? I know the tune would be the easiest, but I was just curious is there is a resistor mod or something similar that works?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Not that I know of.

You either live with the light or get it programed out.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way to get rid of them other than a tune. the EGR is tested by opening it until it makes a miss to registers in the knock sensors. And the AIR is tested by being run and watching for a change in the O2 sensors. Unless you can figure out how to cheap and easy just get it tuned.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thank you for the help, probably way more trouble than its worth to try to avoid the tune. Lithium, with your mods did you need/get a tune? I plan on having a similar set-up to what you have already (but I will retain cats), at what point does the tune start to become important?
Thanks again.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:19 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That would work only if you accidently had it tuned then took it off and to your suprise.... no SES light!
Old 01-14-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stoich - you only need to worry about the !air codes since you don't have EGR...and Calif emissions inspections...
Old 01-14-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Yup, I'm glad for no egr but I was talkin with a friend on the phone about removing the air and egr on his 98 TA, so I firgured I would ask about both. Sounds like the tune is the way to go for myself, I just need to start looking in my area for a good shop...
Old 01-14-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have had some one tell me I should just crush or remove the bulb for the SES. I dont know if it is possible but I personally did not want to do it becuase I would like to know if anything else is wrong with the car. and I am going to get a tune with removal of O2s. I guess you could put a square of black electrical tape over the light if i bugs you that much. Those are the only cheap ways I think you can get rid of it.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

yeah but if you have OBD emissions testing in your area you need to have the tune done to remove the codes. If you remove the bulb the car will fail the bulb test part of the emissions test. and then fail again if you have codes.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

I have heard of the black tape mod, probably the cheapest way to go! I have a predator that I can pull codes with, but for the emissions test I will need the readiness codes to be set, which would not happen with the stock tune and no air, not to mention the visual failure. If anything the air system could be left on the car but defeated with a tune, I would need it to pass the tests so maybe I will learn to live with it.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:18 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Thank you for the help, probably way more trouble than its worth to try to avoid the tune. Lithium, with your mods did you need/get a tune? I plan on having a similar set-up to what you have already (but I will retain cats), at what point does the tune start to become important?
Thanks again.
Well its only started twice and that was for 5 seconds.

When it did start it ran fine actually, I was really suprised.

But a tune is definitely needed with this setup.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Teching In

I'm having trouble understanding how this works. If you !AIR and !EGR, and have a Hypertech or LS1edit and remove the codes, will they keep showing back up, or is it a one-time deal?

I see that Thunder Racing has block-off plates, so it's caught my attention. Can't stand that annoying whine when my cars been driving around for 30 minutes already.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 AM
That's what she said...

Hypertech won't remove the codes at all, LS1edit will delete them permanantly. Its not just removing the SES light, like they do at the autoparts store, its deleting the error signal from the PCM so that it has no code to throw.