Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP ORY 2" clearance??????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP ORY 2" clearance??????????

Me and some buddys put my QTP LT's on yesterday, and I finished putting on the QTP ORY just now. Got it off the lift and measured 2" at the lowest point on the ORY to the ground? I'm pro kit lowered, is this normal ride height? The LT's tucked nice but the drivers side ORY is scraping coming out of the shop. How low are you guys? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

How many inches are you lowered?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:28 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Only
Me and some buddys put my QTP LT's on yesterday, and I finished putting on the QTP ORY just now. Got it off the lift and measured 2" at the lowest point on the ORY to the ground? I'm pro kit lowered, is this normal ride height? The LT's tucked nice but the drivers side ORY is scraping coming out of the shop. How low are you guys? Thanks.

Also, the Mufflex/QTP is not known for offering the best clearance.
Prokit lowered, your Y/X/H exhaust options are limited in diameter.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Also, the Mufflex/QTP is not known for offering the best clearance.
Prokit lowered, your Y/X/H exhaust options are limited in diameter.
So what do you recommend? I could probably tuck them up 1/2" more, but I think thats it. Is 2-2 1/2" the best I can get without changing pipe diameter?
Old 01-14-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

If your slammed no exhaust will have good ground clearance. Try to adjust the y pipe. When i did mine, it was low at first but a twist here and push there and it tucks up real nice. But if the car is lowered 2 inches or more nothing short of a oval pipe will help.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

1/2" better tuck up + 1/2" extra clearance offered by a 2.5" pipe gives you all of 1" better clearance.
It's up to you. Lowered cars have to deal with being lowered. A custom Y would be the best thing to do, as a fabricator can make it snake as close to your floorboard as possible.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Order 66
If your slammed no exhaust will have good ground clearance. Try to adjust the y pipe. When i did mine, it was low at first but a twist here and push there and it tucks up real nice. But if the car is lowered 2 inches or more nothing short of a oval pipe will help.
DAMMIT!!! Thats not what I wanted to hear! Hey, when you did yours did the ORY fit perfect? B/C I had to beat and bend and cuss mine to fit , and I ended up with 2" ground clearance. Will an oval shaped pipe on the drivers side affect performance at all? The headers tucked nice though (3 1/4").
Old 01-14-2006, 08:02 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I had a WWF Royal Rumble w/ my QTP Dual QTEC ORY to get it on alright, then I took it to an exhaust shop for final fitment/tuck.
It did flow extremely well, so it was worth it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a catted y-pipe. After a very patient chess match, I managed to adjust it pretty close to the floor. My car has the 1LE suspension. Performance seems to always come with a trade off some wheres. Long tubes and lowered ride heights in an F-body will definately fall into that category.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

u guys are scaring me, my mufflex has been on back order for 3 weeks and ive been getting anxious now im thinking cancel the order. i was planning on putting this puppy on in the garage.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, with the pro-kit, LT and custom ORY you need to avoid steep driveways and speed bumps like the plague. I had one speed bump rip my system clean off once, at low speed even. However it rides on rails and for autox it's the snitz.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

a muffler shop should be able to help you out on the ground clearance.i didn't even attempt to put my qtp ory on,i just drove it with open headers to the muffler shop but i probably still don't have much over 2 " myself,maybe 2.5 "
Old 01-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow trap
a muffler shop should be able to help you out on the ground clearance.i didn't even attempt to put my qtp ory on,i just drove it with open headers to the muffler shop but i probably still don't have much over 2 " myself,maybe 2.5 "
Well that makes me feel a little better. I thought I had this thing on there too loose or something. I think if I cut it in a few places and re-weld it, it will tuck another 1/2", but that's gonna be the best I can get I guess. Heres a pic compared to a coke can............
Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Lowered cars have to deal with being lowered. A custom Y would be the best thing to do, as a fabricator can make it snake as close to your floorboard as possible.
Yup, my car is lowered about 1.5" or so with G2 springs, and I just got my QTP headers. I will be bringing it to the shop to get an ovalized y-pipe tucked up nice and out of the way. My biggest concern is getting the car on/off the trailer.

Last edited by Teutonic Speedracer; 01-16-2006 at 10:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

I don' t have my car lowered, but, the best I could get out of the cat' d QTP y-pipe was 3.5". I about had that thing as high as it would go. I think with more leverage and time, I could have gotten it a little better, but likely only another 1.25-1.5". I have the Sphon TA ( LT style ) and that hung a bit LOWER than the QTP y-pipe! I hope it works out for ya'. Watch them speed bumps...