Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine breakin

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine breakin

I am about to be breaking in my engine, so I wanted to hear yall's different ways to break in a new engine. What different variables effect how you should break in an engine? Why do different people recomend different breakin methods? Why do some people say that an easy break in isnt good for your motor? What intervals do yall recomend changing the oil? How bad is it to run for a little while with the stock tune on a fairly modified engine? and pretty much any other information that you have would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

You should ask your engine builder about break-in, because the build specs make a lot of difference. Different cylinder hone methods can speed up or slow down the process, as well as different piston ring materials and end gaps. Bearing clearances can also impact break-in. Also, at high rpm's, connecting rods stretch, crankshafts flex, oil pressure increases, etc. This means an engine that is fully broken in during easy driving is not really fully broken in. Oil change intervals should really be dictated by what shape the motor is in and the conditions under which it driven. Since most people never have their oil tested, the "standard recommended" oil change intervals that you normally hear are ridiculously low. I still usually change oil every 7 or 8 thousand miles, but I don't think that most engines need it that frequently. That being said, some high performance motors need the oil changed much more frequently. As far as the stock tune on a modded engine, as long as you don't detonate or wash your rings with raw fuel, it shouldn't hurt anything but performance.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Here's something interesting...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

I was hoping that someone would have made some posts replying to the link and what thoughts people had, but the the link what the link was talking about scared everyone off, lol. any thought on that type of break-in?
Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

I am interested to hear peoples thoughts on this also. I am getting ready to get this engine back in the car and break it in. I want to make sure I do this right. I just put a whole mess of money into this car and I sure don't want to mess it up on break in.
Any opinions? Thoughts? Experiences?