Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem at start up after changing T.B.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem at start up after changing T.B.

Hello everyone I'm new here and this is my 1st post
My G/F got me a BBK 80mm Power Plus Throttle body for Christmas after installing it i did all the stuff the directions said to do including disconnecting the battery terminals and letting my car sit for a while prior to start up so that the PCM can reset it's self, including just letting the car idle in park for 30-45 minutes and since then i have driven it about 500 miles. My question is at 1st when i start my car from a cold start the 1st 5 seconds of idle are real slow and far apart and it sounds like the car wants to stall out except it doesnt stall out the idle starts real slow and then after a few minutes it pics up and starts idling faster and faster until it reaches the usual RPM idle. Is there something wrong? or is this normal for a Z28 after installing a aftermarket T.B.??. I have checked 3 times and over checked everything including taking the T.B. apart and reinstalling it to make sure i didn't miss anything but my car still does it any idea's?? or is it normal??
Old 01-15-2006, 03:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

you have now changed your air percentage. The slow start up is a rich A/F mixture. your IAC is readjusting from its program. Get some local help. Your air hole in your new throttle body may be smaller than your stock one. This is the first thing I would look at.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Do you think if it is this problem that i can just drill it out bigger myself?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

You are better off to tune it in properly with the running airflow tables etc.