Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Guys...Boost Controller help

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Guys...Boost Controller help

Well crap, me and my bro Eric decided to turn up the boost today and I couldn't make more the 5psi.

The boost controller I have is the dual stage Turbosmart unit. One setting for low boost and another for high boost. High boost controlled by a flip of a switch.

I've gone over the instructions, but damn if they aren't pretty vague and turbosmarts example of how it should be hooked up is on a internal WG.

I'm pretty sure its messed up because of the way I have the vac lines routed from the BC to the WG.

The arrow on the turbosmart "boost tee" is pointing to the top port of the WG. Should this being going the bottom port?

I had the cold side vac line going to the bottom port of the WG before, so this is the only thing I can think thats screwing stuff up.

How do you guys run yours?
J
Old 01-15-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

The turbosmart "boost tee" has an arrow which port on the WG does the arrow(vacuum line) go to? TOP or BOTTOM port on the WG??????????
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98

The turbosmart "boost tee" has an arrow which port on the WG does the arrow(vacuum line) go to? TOP or BOTTOM port on the WG??????????
the arrow points toward the wastegate. the T fitting splices inline with the signal line going to your wastegate.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant help ya bro I am just boosting to the wastegate spring.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Krazy, thats what I was doing too, but decided well I got it better use it If I can't get her fingered out I'll just slap the 11psi spring back in the WG and go dyno on that

sr71, yep got the whole arrow to the WG, but I have it going to the top port on the WG. The other side of the "boost tee"(no arrow) is going to my boost source and is spliced to the bottom port on the WG.

So is this wrong?
J
Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

there should only be one line going from your manifold to the side or bottom of the wastegate. the T splices into this line. there should be NO line going to the top of the gate.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm.....
http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

Is what I was using for a reference for the boost controller install since turbosmarts instructions only showed an internal WG install...

Guess i'll try it out like you suggested, can't get any worse
Thanks,
J
Old 01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by frcefed98
hmmm.....
http://www.tialsport.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf

Is what I was using for a reference for the boost controller install since turbosmarts instructions only showed an internal WG install...

Guess i'll try it out like you suggested, can't get any worse
Thanks,
J
yep, I have the same instructions with my wastegates. I made several calls to the turbosmart us distributor. the tech guy told me how to hook it up. I ended up cutting the T off of mine because it acts as a restrictor to the signal airflow to make the boost jump up sooner. my set-up needed alot more volume through the signal line since I have 2 wastegates. I was getting a HUGE boost spike. I replaced the restriction T with a standard 3/16" tee and it fixed my boost spike. you should be fine as delivered since you only have 1 gate.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm extremely greatful for that bit o' info. I'll be doing that first thing tomorrow morning and hope to dyno it too.

5psi sucks already
J
Old 01-15-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey 5 psi is better than NA but wait till you feel 8 then 10 then 12... then sell the kids and...
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS2win
hey 5 psi is better than NA but wait till you feel 8 then 10 then 12... then sell the kids and...

I know he loves the boost but he will never sell the lil guy right Jer........

Dyno yeahhhhhhhhhh
Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Generally, the reference boost line goes to the bottom of the wastegate. You tee this line and feed it to your turbosmart. Then out of the turbosmart back to the top of the wastegate.

Basically, there is a diaphram inside the gate. So when you put the reference line to the bottom of the gate and leave the top of the gate open to atmosphere, you will make less boost than your spring rate. Vice versa if you put your reference line to the top of the gate and leave the bottom of the gate open to atmosphere. This would be considered "max boost" for the gate with any spring that you're running.

So with knowing this, if you were to put a reference line to both the top and the bottom of the gate without a controller, it would be the same as not putting any reference lines to the gate.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS2win
Ran 6psi, 8psi with my first FI kit (powerdyne) Then ran 10psi, 12psi + 50 shot and a 75 shot for awhile with the procharger before going to a built LS6 block and 15psi of boost all the time with the ol Procharger. Then I sold it and went turbo.

So i've been there done that, and nope won't sell my son, as the car is paid for and so are all the mods

But yeah 5psi sucks, especially since I know that there is a ton more left in it.
J
Old 01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

going to dyno today Jer..??
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

UPDATE!!! IT MAKES BOOST
sr71, you sir are a great help Hooked it up like you rec'ed and BAM!!! Friggen works like a charm. Boosts damn fast too We have her set up for 10psi for the street right now. Thanks a TON!!!

Kyle, probably not today. I have a full tank of gas right now. I want to add in some 103 or higher before I hit the dyno, so probably later this week. I have to log this 10psi for a few runs to see if all is well with my timing and A/F is in line, tweak it where it needs it and then head off to the dyno.
We will add the second stage of boost at the dyno. I want my max boost to be 14-15psi.

This 2 bar tune is awesome...need to mention that again
J
Old 01-16-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your car pulled like a raped ape! Cant wait til you set up the high boost on the dyno and see what she feels like. Yee Haw!

Eric
Old 01-16-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the help Eric, yesterday and today was pretty fun
J
Old 01-16-2006, 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BoostMluse
Generally, the reference boost line goes to the bottom of the wastegate. You tee this line and feed it to your turbosmart. Then out of the turbosmart back to the top of the wastegate.

Basically, there is a diaphram inside the gate. So when you put the reference line to the bottom of the gate and leave the top of the gate open to atmosphere, you will make less boost than your spring rate. Vice versa if you put your reference line to the top of the gate and leave the bottom of the gate open to atmosphere. This would be considered "max boost" for the gate with any spring that you're running.
I think you're confused...the way you are suggesting with the turbosmart is more of a bleeder type setup (bleeding off some of the pressure and putting on the top of the wastegate). I had the same boost Tee that he is running and the way SR71 said to do it is right (and that's why it worked). The boost Tee is a ball and spring setup so that it won't let any pressure pass through until a certain pressure has been reached in which it lets the pressure pass and then that will open the wastegate.

I don't know what you mean by bottom or top, but the bottom is usually referred to as the side that is pushing against the spring. You can never make less boost than your wastegate spring...it's just not possible. You can only add more pressure to the top of the gate and that means it would take more pressure to push against both the pressure from the spring and the extra air pressure on top of it (or more race type setups actually put c02 on top of the gates to add to the wastegate spring pressure).

So with knowing this, if you were to put a reference line to both the top and the bottom of the gate without a controller, it would be the same as not putting any reference lines to the gate.
This is correct...and could cause some damage. lol

The only difference between what sr71 suggested and what I've seen recommended by the wastegate manufacturers is just 'leaving the top port open.' They recommend putting it before the compressor (which is also atmospheric but doesn't allow any contaminants to enter the gate).
Old 01-16-2006, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club

I put the 10psi spring in mine so that way I would only have to adjust off of that a little bit.Get the BEAST on the DYNO I am dying to see what it makes!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

J when you get things dialed in let me know how your gas mileage is.

I may just have to look into doing the 2 bar tune as well.

Not convinced I will yet though as I really like getting my 20mpg in commute traffic. Not sure if SD can get good gas mileage or not.

Most folks seem to say their MPG goes to the crapper.

Quick Reply: Turbo Guys...Boost Controller help