Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to M6 drag racing...I think I suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New to M6 drag racing...I think I suck

Well like the title says I am new to the manual transmission and have only been driving my car now for about 5 months.

So i got a G-tech...I know take it to the track to get real results etc...but I have no track anywhere near me and I just thought it would be fun to have one to use on our 70 chevelle, 69 camaro, and my T/A.

Anyways I am starting to think I must really suck at driving, or my car has problems...so here is my scenario and you tell me.

I have done about 10 passes total, my average has been about 14.6@104mph. Now during those times I had winter tires on..lol which are an inch diameter larger overall than stock so maybe they are heaver to turn or something, and I was just trying out my new g-tech toy. I SUCK at launching so i know that is affecting my times greatly and my shiftting is not that fast but is getting faster every day I drive.

My question is, can improving my launch, shifting technique, and not having the snow tires drop my 1/4 mile time a full second?? I assume my car should be capable of running low 13s with my mods and just want to know if the reason my times are so bad are the reasons I listed above.

Sorry for the long post, I am just new at this and don't wanna be one of those guys that makes the f-body crowd look bad on the street because im turning a 13 second car into a high 14 second car. I want to really improve my technique and make our f-body crowd look good when im driving and I just want to make sure it is me and not my car that is causing my poor times.

Please don't flame me too bad
Thankyou!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Its not easy and takes practice.I've been driving and racing stick and autos since the early 80's and it took me a while to get the hang of this car.I use a quick clutch slip thats at the limit of wheelspin to get a good launch,you have to modulate the throttle and clutch at the same time.Try to hold the rpm at around 2500 and quickly slip the clutch out and press the gas to the floor at the same time.Once you get it you can feel the car pull hard.Practice,practice.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I hate the fact that spring isnt here so i can't practice with good tires etc.. So lots of practice will really be able to cut a full second off of my time?

Im just wondering how bad of a driver do you need to be do run a car like this at a 14.6, or could it be as simple as having a terrible launch and not shifting fast enough?

Thanks for your input, and I hope practice will help me get into the low 13s.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

A bad 60' can equal a 14 sec ET easy.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Like they always say... "Practice Makes Perfect!"

Just keep playing with it and try to find that fine line with the clutch/gas pedal.. Once you get a good feel for the car you will start to get it under control..
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the hell with G tech man. do what you gotta do in the spring to get to a track without those snow tires and work on learning to drive the car on a prepped surface.

trying to launch an M6 car, on snow tires, on frozen ground is akin to watching monkey's try to **** a football
Old 01-16-2006, 01:07 AM
On The Tree

Don't feel too bad. It definitely takes practice. I'm in the same boat, and I need much more practice to get the right ETs for this car.

As for the G-Tech,. don't trust it. I've seen 14 second cars pull low 13s on a G-Tech, and vice versa.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you like M6 drag racing, don't spend another dime on mods until you have a 12-bolt, stout driveshaft (like a Denny's Nitrous Ready), and a stout clutch. Also add on a line lock. Once you have those pieces, you can run any tire you want, and your car is hella fun at the strip. If I could have 4 mods, those would be them. You can bounce the engine off the rev limiter and dump the clutch and not worry about breaking stuff.

Seriously. Yee haw. Just do it.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

well I don't plan to mod anymore for a few years until I get a good job and have a decent amount of income coming in after I finish college. As far as drag racing, I won't be at a strip much being there are none close by, and I don't wanna break anything being this is the only car I have lol. I just wanna be able to drive the car to its full potential and if a 14 second car pulls up next to me at a light I wanna be able to smoke them!!!

Gotta make the f-body crowd look good so it looks like I will need to really practice this spring and get my skills up to par.

Thanks for the comments guys, im starting to feel a little better about this.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

I believe my very first run with my car was a 13.7 I was disappointed as I figured I should be about 13.3 or so. Well I kept going to test and tunes and running lots of passes and managed a best of 13.008 @ 107.85mph on a stock SLP 345HP car on street tires. I slapped on a set of MT DR's and ran a best of 12.692 @ 109.23mph(still stock other than DR's). I managed to gain 7 tenths on street tires by learning to drive the car and you should as well.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
well I don't plan to mod anymore for a few years until I get a good job and have a decent amount of income coming in after I finish college. As far as drag racing, I won't be at a strip much being there are none close by, and I don't wanna break anything being this is the only car I have lol. I just wanna be able to drive the car to its full potential and if a 14 second car pulls up next to me at a light I wanna be able to smoke them!!!

Gotta make the f-body crowd look good so it looks like I will need to really practice this spring and get my skills up to par.

Thanks for the comments guys, im starting to feel a little better about this.
well street racing is not making the f-body crowd look good. it makes us look as bad as the ricers. no offense to you but race at the track.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

I totally agree because I don't support street racing but when the time arrives and you are at a light next to a car with no traffic around I think just about anyone with a car like ours would take the opportunity for a quick run to the speed limit or maybe even 75 in a 55. I don't go out and look for potential races 7 days a week and try to puposely get races...just wanna be prepared for that rare moment when im Minding my own business that is all.

I dont take my car to the track but that also doesn't that mean I am going to drive this car like a geo metro on the street. I bought this car to enjoy it, but by enjoying it I know not to be stupid. There is a reason why I have a clean record and drive just barely above the speed limit, because I want to be a safe driver but still enjoy a car that is fast.

I completely understand where you are comming from and I'm sorry if it came off looking like I wanna street race. Those are not my intentions just trying to learn how to drive the car to its full potential.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YoungGunLs1
I totally agree because I don't support street racing but when the time arrives and you are at a light next to a car with no traffic around I think just about anyone with a car like ours would take the opportunity for a quick run to the speed limit or maybe even 75 in a 55. I don't go out and look for potential races 7 days a week and try to puposely get races...just wanna be prepared for that rare moment when im Minding my own business that is all.

I dont take my car to the track but that also doesn't that mean I am going to drive this car like a geo metro on the street. I bought this car to enjoy it, but by enjoying it I know not to be stupid. There is a reason why I have a clean record and drive just barely above the speed limit, because I want to be a safe driver but still enjoy a car that is fast.

I completely understand where you are comming from and I'm sorry if it came off looking like I wanna street race. Those are not my intentions just trying to learn how to drive the car to its full potential.
its alright. yea your right about a quick dash to 55 or so, but nothing radical like 150 in a 25. or dodging cars on a 4 lane, or some **** liek that.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

the thing about those gtech things are the right calibration on perfectly level ground. there is no substitute for the real thing but it should give you some idea of your progression in how you drive.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

well i went out for one more try on the snow tires lol...

It will be my last, but I see light at the end of the tunnel, because I tried the rev to about 1800 rpm, preload the drivetrain and pop the clutch and step the pedal to the floor at the same time...and to my suprise first try I got it and man did the car rocket off the line it was so cool..except for the smokey burnout all the way through first and ruining my winter tires..

I tried a second time and got it again no problem..after that I decided it was time to roatate my winter tires and not do that anymore til spring, but I am so excited now knowing I was able to launch like that.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

On street tires I ususally launched about 1800rpm and quickly EASE into the clutch. If you dump the clutch you'll go up in smoke and get nowhere fast.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

ya i prolly more eased into it than dumped..just to clear that up. THanks.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Can't tell you about a car stock my 98z28 6 speed had nitrous on it in feb 98, and the stock clutch was gone by 5000 miles, kind of weird shifting into 1st gear without pushing the clutch, sheared 4 axel studs off the right side wheel was held on with one good stud. =P. Top 4 mods first. #1 rear end #2DR or slicks #3clutch #4nitrous oh yeah did I say I killed 4 ring gear sets? #1 REAR END =)