Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pro-Charger + LSX + Nitrous???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro-Charger + LSX + Nitrous???

Hi, first post. I bought off of Ebay a '98 LS1 with a Procharger. I dont think any internal mods were done to this engine, if I'm not mistaken this was a GM show car". Called "Bird of Prey". So even though everything works, it only has 17,000 miles.
My question: I want to get 600 H.P to the wheels. I am running the 6 speed but also going through an N.P. 205 transfer case. (Four Wheel Drive) I am hoping for about 100 H.P. loss. So, I need a solid 700 HP motor. I am figuring the FAST LSX intake, then the ZEX nitrous system.
Question 1) Will this work?
Question 2) What internal mods should I put into this engine?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we need more info on the car........... pic's.... ebay auction.............

Kyle
Old 01-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Kyle, thanks for the quick reply! Ummm lets see. Car is in process of being built. All pictures of work in progress are pretty scary - too scary to post!!! Ebay auction ??? Why would that be crucial to figuring out if the internal engine components that I listed above will work together???
- meat
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

First off - welcome to the board. Is it the MMS 'Bird Of Prey' convertible ? Just curious...

How much boost are you currently running with the Procharger setup ? I would start saving for a forged bottom end if you are planning to run ~600rwhp. The stock bottom end won't hold up for long at that power level.

With whatever drivetrain you're describing above it sounds like you would need ~700 hp at the crank ?

How much HP is it making now ?

A FAST 90/90, 90mm TB and a nitrous kit should get you there, but as mentioned above it may not last long.

Also, I'd shop around other nitrous vendors as well - I run an NX wet kit. I haven't heard all that many great things about Zex.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Bad30th, lets see, current HP is 450-505. 6 Pounds of boost, I believe. Forged bottom end? Ok! What should that include? - The FAST 90/90 90 mm TB is what I was talking about, along with their intake. ZEX has been my choice so far becuase their system is made just for that. Edelbrock had one for awhile, but then they stopped advertising it. Yes I am figuring 700 hp at crank: 300 for the LS1, Another 20 for the 90mm and the LSX intake (or is this negated due to the Procharger?) The Procharger itself gives another 125, then the Nitrous 300 HP-- total 745, max. What else do I need?
THanks in advance
meat
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Oh, and I dont know what the cars history is/was. Show car doors, 18 inch wheels, factory seats. 1998 FIrebird, red maybe? The place I bought it from says that it is the car that procharger inc has on their web site for the '98, but the decals do NOT match as far as on the procharger intake "thingy" - My logo has a lot of yellow, website seems to only be white and blue.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

you'd be nuts to spray a 300 shot on top of a procharger. And if you plan to you damn sure better have a motor built to the hilt which aint going to be cheap.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you got some reading to do, amigo.

A 'forged bottom end' means a forged crank/rods/pistons to withstand the extra horsepower. Not cheap. You might want to do some reading and then talk to one of the reputable engine builders on the links to the right ----->. I'd suggest trying to find one that's (relatively) local.

BTW, hope you're made of money cuz it won't be cheap.

...and yea, spraying a 300 shot on top of 6psi is gonna be one hell of a ride if it holds together. It would be a hell of a ride even without any boost, LOL. If you're really considering a shot of that size, look into a direct port nitrous system and buy ALL the safety gear (fuel pressure safety switch, window switch, WOT switch, etc).

Post up some pics of your car if you can !

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

ok, cool, thats what I thought. Crank, Rods, Pistons. Ten Point Roll cage (+) and 2*4 Frame rails. '84 Vette rear end, All under a 1968 Mustang Fastback body. Which is a real crappy rust bucket, SO, It'll probablly be replaced by a bumper to bumper fiberglass shell (U.S. Body Source - Hampton, Florida)
"Hang on, this might get a little weird!"
- Cannoball Run

Quick Reply: Pro-Charger + LSX + Nitrous???