LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which cam for Ported LT1 heads??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cam for Ported LT1 heads??

I am looking for the grinds you guys are running with Stage II or fully ported LT1 castings along with Dyno numbers and/or time slips if you have any.

I am currently running a fully ported CNC'd set with a hotcam and would like to make the most out of the heads by going to a bigger cam.

I did a search on this subject and found some cams but not any specs. Please include specs with your cam along with likes and dislikes.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll get the best results by getting a custom grind to match your heads
Old 01-17-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was going to recomend a custom grind as well, www.eportworks.com / www.cmotorsports.com
Old 01-19-2006, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flame
You'll get the best results by getting a custom grind to match your heads
This is not answering my question.

I want to know what everyone is running with their ported heads with possibly dyno numbers backing it up. Specs of the cam grind is what I am looking for.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Docspeed
This is not answering my question.

I want to know what everyone is running with their ported heads with possibly dyno numbers backing it up. Specs of the cam grind is what I am looking for.
Hambone and flame were both tactfully trying to help point you toward what you need. I'm not so nice.

If your "Stage II" heads, displacement, compression, exhaust, trans, gears, etc. aren't the same as someone elses's, just looking at their cam specs won't really help much. Perhaps the faster guys aren't going to reveal cam specs anyway.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Hambone and flame were both tactfully trying to help point you toward what you need. I'm not so nice.

If your "Stage II" heads, displacement, compression, exhaust, trans, gears, etc. aren't the same as someone elses's, just looking at their cam specs won't really help much. Perhaps the faster guys aren't going to reveal cam specs anyway.

Look man, he asked a simple question. He wanted some dyno numbers from some particular cam grinds using fully ported heads FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES.

Last edited by METALBEAST; 01-19-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

here ya go.. my first setup was ported stock heads (valvejob, shaved, and pocket ported) with a cc305.. made 352hp 340 tq.. second setup is going to be set of "stage 2" ported heads with a custom grind cam.. its kinda small too.. .510 intake lift/ dur.@.050 230 degrees .520 exhaust lift / dur. @.050 236 degrees.. im still not sure if im using that custom cam or simply going with a gm847.. might go gm847 for higher numbers, but with my boltons both cams should give me around 400 hp
Old 01-19-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i made the numbers in sig with my setup which the heads where just lightly ported, now im waiting on some stage 2 heads which will hopfully put me in the 410ish area. and the specs on the cc306 are 230/244 .510/.540 and then the 1.6 rrs bumped up the lift a little.

Mark
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Look man, he asked a simple question. He wanted some dyno numbers from some particular cam grinds using fully ported heads FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES.
Unfortunately there's no simple answer to that question without all the other qualifiers. It's kinda like asking how good looking a girl is based on her bra size. A 38D looks entirely different to me on a 5' 4 " 110 lb lady than it does on a 5'4 " 250 lb lady.

How about this: better flowing heads require less cam than lesser flowing heads to get the same power. Not all "Stage II" of "fully ported" heads flow the same air or with the same quality. With a cam matched to the entire combination of engine and vehicle, you'll see better area under the curve and peak numbers. That doesn't mean the cam needs to be "bigger" as Docspeed suggests, it just has to be better suited to the engine. If you don't have all the relevant data, you are just picking a cam by bra size.

My highly-opinionated $.02
Old 01-19-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

im running a custom cam from Futural motorsports, dynoed 420 374

cam is similar to the 306
Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Unfortunately there's no simple answer to that question without all the other qualifiers. It's kinda like asking how good looking a girl is based on her bra size. A 38D looks entirely different to me on a 5' 4 " 110 lb lady than it does on a 5'4 " 250 lb lady.

How about this: better flowing heads require less cam than lesser flowing heads to get the same power. Not all "Stage II" of "fully ported" heads flow the same air or with the same quality. With a cam matched to the entire combination of engine and vehicle, you'll see better area under the curve and peak numbers. That doesn't mean the cam needs to be "bigger" as Docspeed suggests, it just has to be better suited to the engine. If you don't have all the relevant data, you are just picking a cam by bra size.

My highly-opinionated $.02
How about this: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR .02's!
ITS FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES!

Your opinions Flame and Hambone were listened to and this post is in no way targeted at you guys. All of you other guys that posted specs thank you, it was greatly appreciated. Please keep them coming!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 AM
11 Second Club

Old SStroker......
Yeah!...maybe your son could teach ya something.....So there.....

P.S. Say hi to Bret for me.......

Cam in my sig....

Last edited by jimbob; 01-20-2006 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Docspeed
How about this: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR .02's!
ITS FOR REFERENCE PURPOSES!

Your opinions Flame and Hambone were listened to and this post is in no way targeted at you guys. All of you other guys that posted specs thank you, it was greatly appreciated. Please keep them coming!
I warned you I wasn't nice.
At least you read it before I got on your "Ignore list".

Originally Posted by jimbob

Old SStroker......
Yeah!...maybe your son could teach ya something.....So there.....

P.S. Say hi to Bret for me.......
He does that regularly.

I will say hi, but he might see this before I can.

Quick Reply: Which cam for Ported LT1 heads??