Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

All BS aside, how much is a single turbo going to run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All BS aside, how much is a single turbo going to run?

I wanted to go with an ATI D1-SC and noticed that the prices are about $7500 installed and tuned. Now, I would imagine that this price could get pretty damn close to the price of a single turbo setup. I would most definately want to have a front intercooler as well.

My current setup is a forged 348ci motor from Speed, Inc. I had the motor installed almost 2 years ago and have since only put 3500 miles on the car. Im trying to track down misc. bugs but I have been extremely busy doing other things. I also had a 2005 GTO for 7 months which had most of my attention - until I traded it in (bought a house and have a baby on the way). Moving alone, I am running a stock timing and stock compression LS1. I have Diamond pistons, Eagle 3D connecting rods, RGR stage 2 heads, comp 918 springs, 224/228 .581/.581 112lsa comp camshaft, and a stock LS1 crankshaft. I am still running my stock fuel system which seems to be pretty maxed out in my current application.

As far as handling the power I know that my Spec Stage 3 clutch needs to be replaced soon, I have a stock flywheel, my 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are screaming bloody murder, Lingenfelter 3.5" aluminum HD driveshaft, and a Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears.

So, what would be a fair price to pay for a single turbo setup with new injectors, fuel pump, front mount, installed/tuned, etc.? This is a street car and I want to be able to run pump gas and drive it to work. I currently make 430rwhp/410rwtq and would like to be around 650rwhp/650rwtq. What would be the best and cheapest way to accomplish this goal? I currently have a nitrous setup on my car but never use it.

Thanks for any help! If you need to know more about my cars mods you can go to my website. I haven't updated it in awhile - but atleast it has 99% of the stuff I have installed. www.johnnyz28.com
Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More than likely your heads will have to be changed out to lower the compression,possibly new pistons too for a decent Turbo setup.

Then I would say anywhere from $8000-$12000 to do a good Turbo setup,fuel system ect. installed.
Turbo's end up being more expensive than Superchargers most of the time.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Launching!

This is what I found on Speed, Incs website:

Speed Inc Eliminator Turbo Systems
This 98-02 LS1 F-body Turbo Tuner kit is capable of 800RWHP/800RWTQ with a forged 346"+ displacement engine, 6 speed trans, proper fuel system, 60# injectors, stock PCM, and 100 octane fuel. Set your boost at a lower level with the supplied Innovative controller, and run on 93 octane (We made 675RWHP@10psi). The LS1 F-body GT76 Turbo TUNER system, includes:

-Stainless Steel tubular headers (not "log" or stock type manifolds) and "hot parts"
-GT76R-trim Innovative Turbo
- Oil drain flange
- Oil drain gasket
-Innovative multi-stage Boost controller
-Innovative "Indy Gate" Wastegate
-Tial Billet Blow off Valve
-Griffin Camaro (-3) or Firebird (-1) Front mount Intercooler
**Does not include intercooler plumbing, hoses, or clamps.
**Battery may need to be relocated to hatch area depending on how you route your intercooler plumbing

So, $7200 doesn't include any of the plumbing or hoses?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
More than likely your heads will have to be changed out to lower the compression,possibly new pistons too for a decent Turbo setup.

Then I would say anywhere from $8000-$12000 to do a good Turbo setup,fuel system ect. installed.
Turbo's end up being more expensive than Superchargers most of the time.
Damn, thats insane. I thought I could run atleast 6-7psi on this forged setup.

I guess paying out for a D1-SC might be the best bet at this point then. I don't feel like putting $12K into this car. Im already like $30K deep.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

it depends what pistons u have now. you could easily switch heads and run 12-14psi if you don't have like 13:1 pistons in there. we need specs fyi.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also if the rings are fitted for NA they won't last long in FI.The only way you can save $$ is to do the kit yourself but it will take alot of time and some special tools like welders ect.

The up side is that you can make more HP with a Turbo but could also make 700hp with a Procharger.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:13 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Procharger would be less work IMO. you did say you were a busy man!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paulz2820
it depends what pistons u have now. you could easily switch heads and run 12-14psi if you don't have like 13:1 pistons in there. we need specs fyi.
I was specific. I said I was running Diamond pistons with stock compression. I also gave a link to my website that lists everything that I have done. I don't need 13-14psi of boost to make 650rwhp.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Procharger would be less work IMO. you did say you were a busy man!

Seems like going with a ProCharger is the best route so far. Besides, I could have it done locally as well.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you say you installed 99% of the current stuff you have now then a Turbo or SC setup would be easy to install..........
The labor is whats getting you.......
if your stock compression now... 10.3:1 then you are at least going to have to do heads to lower the compressiona bit......
im saying that because your prob going to have to run about 10 psi or more to reach your 650rwhp goal.

Things will come out of nowhere and add up fast...... I say just stick with the 348 you have now and keep the spray on it... maybe up the jets to a 175 and be happy with alot more $$ left in your pocket......

Kyle
Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
If you say you installed 99% of the current stuff you have now then a Turbo or SC setup would be easy to install..........
The labor is whats getting you.......
if your stock compression now... 10.3:1 then you are at least going to have to do heads to lower the compressiona bit......
im saying that because your prob going to have to run about 10 psi or more to reach your 650rwhp goal.

Things will come out of nowhere and add up fast...... I say just stick with the 348 you have now and keep the spray on it... maybe up the jets to a 175 and be happy with alot more $$ left in your pocket......

Kyle
He had Speed Inc do 99% of his work. I would have someone do the work for you Johnny and just go with a ATI.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Price around, but you could pay $500-1200 to install a kit and fuel system and $300-500 to tune it.

You can run 6-9psi on top of 10.3:1 on pump gas, just need it tuned.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With all supporting mods, drivetrain, etc... 15-30k.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

im in the same boat bro

Im looking at a single kit to make 550-600whp

adding everything up, with a stock engine btw, im still hitting like $9500 - 10,000 with the pkt kit.
Ill prob go procharger
Old 01-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black02SS
He had Speed Inc do 99% of his work. I would have someone do the work for you Johnny and just go with a ATI.
Yea, I read the post and don't know where I led anyone to believe that I did 99% of the work. I did about 10% of the work. Speed built the motor, installed the 12 bolt and cleaned up the wires and installed the nitrous switch panel. Hi-Tech Performance did the rest with the transmission, clutch, and other odds and ends. I would love to learn and do things myself, but it comes down to not being able to trust myself and have anyone experienced enough to help me out in the process and make sure I'm not screwing up my car.

As far as the nitrous goes the kit is in. I installed the kit with some local help, but there are still leaks that I can't get to stop. There were fittings that were screwed and the nipple that connects to the bottle broke. The guy who helped me install the kit wired the bottle warmer to my daytime running lights and I promptly took that out. Since then, I have not put the warmer back in which is why I don't spray it. Speed Inc did heat the bottle and spray it on the dyno and that was pretty much the extent of spraying the car to get some "numbers".

I'm happy with the engine and that is about it. My clutch needs to be replaced, my Moser howls (3200 miles on it), there are misc. clangs and bangs and the shocks need to be changed. Since I had the GTO this summer I never cared to work on the Z28 and the winter months slowed the rest down. Now that the GTO is gone I can focus on getting the Z28 where I want it to be. I want it to be powerufl and run 11's without having to worry about nitrous - if it runs faster, thats great.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Price around, but you could pay $500-1200 to install a kit and fuel system and $300-500 to tune it.

You can run 6-9psi on top of 10.3:1 on pump gas, just need it tuned.
I'd like to run 8-9psi of boost but Im not sure how that would impact the engine. When Tom had my engine built he said it was the same engine that you had. I'm sure you have probably since changed the setup out.

I'm pretty sure I have some sort of lifetime tune from Speed, Inc. and they have seen my car 3 times. They know the history of the car so that might be better. But, I'm not sure if Tom wants to see my car again....
Old 01-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02BlueFirehawk
With all supporting mods, drivetrain, etc... 15-30k.
I have a forged engine, stock fuel system, 6-speed with upgraded internals and clutch (clutch has about 30% life left), lingenfelter drive shaft, and a moser 12 bolt with 3.73s. I also have subframes, the BMR torque arm, etc.

The only thing that I THINK I need is a new fuel system/pump, the blower kit, new clutch, new synchros (2nd and 3rd are toast), and shocks. The rest of the parts in the car have been replaced.

Quick Reply: All BS aside, how much is a single turbo going to run?