Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Who installed their own Blackbird stripes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Who installed their own Blackbird stripes

Got them in yesterday with installation instructions but wondering how much of a pain it is to get em aligned correctly? My main concern would be the proper positioning of the stripe (up & down) on the incline.

Close up pictures of your Blackbird stripes would be appreciated
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^bump^ also want to know
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its easy to do. I've done several stripes and it gets easier each time. Make sure to trim all the extra backing tape off so that you will be left with the backing tape just a little bit bigger than the stripe. Mix some soap and water together in a spray bottle. I usually only put a few drops of dish washing soap in the bottle. Spray the area with a lot of water and spray the decal too. A good idea is to lay the stripe down before peeling the waxy paper to get an idea of where it needs to be lined up. With the stripe and the hood wet put the stripe down. worry more about the front of the hood and how the stripes aline with the scoope. Make sure you pull the stripe so that it's straight. Once you get the front alined correctly the back will take care of itself. Take your time and use plenty of soapy water.

Once you get the stripe where you want I use a credit card to squeege the water out from under the stripe. Work from the middle to the ends. Becareful not to use too much pressure or you will move the stripe and you will have to start all over again. Leave the stripe for a while and go back every 10-20 minutes and squeege out some more water. You can also use a blow drier or a heat gun to speed up the prosses. Once the backing paper feels pretty dry squeege one more time and if no water comes out then peel off the backing paper SLOWLY and carefully.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

the 1st time I put stripes on it took 2 hours and I still messed them up the second time I was extra careful and it only took an hour using what I learned. Now I can do it in 30 minutes and they look almost perfect.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Its easy as hell, I put mine on in like 45 mins with no problems
Old 01-18-2006, 01:31 PM
IMJ
TECH Enthusiast

I put on a few sets my self but 01 Red WS6 has it right on with those instructions. I just wanted to add take your time when pulling off the wax paper cause thats where you can pull the decal right off the hood and create air bubbles. Pull off that paper extra slow and if you are using a heat gun or blow drier wait till the decal has cooled down before you try to pull off the wax paper cause the glue not set up right and you will mess up the decal. Oh yeah dont do them if its too cold outside cause i did a set one time and they were on the hood with no air bubbles and when i was pulling up the wax paper i ripped the decal.... Just be extreamly carefull when removing the wax paper thats like one the the easiest way to f*&k up....
Old 01-18-2006, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks

Car is currently in the body shop for touch up spots but don't want to pay them for something I could do myself. I think a clay bar cleaning before the application would be good too as recommended by FourthCircleDesigns.

Can't wait to get em on

Quick Reply: Who installed their own Blackbird stripes