Transfer frequency from one keyless remote to the other?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer frequency from one keyless remote to the other?

I have a remote from a 1999 Chevy Silverado and I'm trying to get it to learn the frequency of my current remote for my Tahoe which functions properly but has a cracked case.

Does any one know this process? For what it's worth it's for a 1998 Chevy Tahoe. The Owner's Manual does not describe the process.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, you can't make the remote learn a new frequency, however you can program the Tahoe to recognize the new remote. If you are only interested in replacing the cracked case, why not swap out the electronics ? It would be a lot easier.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rayosequis
Well, you can't make the remote learn a new frequency, however you can program the Tahoe to recognize the new remote. If you are only interested in replacing the cracked case, why not swap out the electronics ? It would be a lot easier.
That would be fine to make the Tahoe receiver recognize the new remote. The problem with simply swapping the circuit boards is that they are shaped differently. The outer cases are identical but the internals are not.

The '99 Silverado remote has the lock/unlock buttons with a red panic button on the bottom left below the lock button. The cracked '98 Tahoe remote has the lock/unlock buttons with a rear door unlock button below the unlock button.

Is it possible for the Tahoe to learn the '99 Silverado remote?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

A lot of things changed in the newer trucks, I think the frequency's did too. If I remember right, the 99+ trucks had a rolling frequency code meaning it changes all the time, while I don't think the older ones did.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

If that doesnt work out for you try RemotesUnlimited.com They are based out of houston, and they have the OEM replacements at NON-OEM prices. I dropped by there last week and picked one up because i had a cracked case. They actually had a used case (couldnt sell) that they GAVE me, as the internals of mine were fine. The new one (camaro) was like $54 before tax...

-Hope this helps...
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

The new one (camaro) was like $54 before tax...

-Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]

They are about $80 something new from the dealer
Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I bought my car, it didnt come with keyless entry so I had to buy a remote off of ebay and program it. If you still need it, I can find the instructions that came with it and give them a shot.

If you guys dont think that will work though, im gonna save myself the trouble of typing it.

Let me know..
Old 01-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replies. The FCC ID's ended up being different. So I just bought a new one from Autozone.

We just jumped #4 and #8 on the ALDL connector and that places the truck into learn mode. Then you just press the lock/unlock buttons simultaneously. The horn will chirp to confirm the new remote has been accepted. Then un-jump the ALDL.

Quick Reply: Transfer frequency from one keyless remote to the other?