Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion?

I just had my break rotors checked (they need to be replaced) at Big 10 Tires, and while they were being looked at I asked the guy if warped rotors would be the cause of a subtle "wom wom wom wom wom" noise while I drive. The noise speeds up as I speed up, and slows down as I slow down. And he said warped rotors shouldn't cause any noise, just bumpy braking.

He said the noise would more likely be caused by a bearing or the pinion in the back. He looked at it briefly and said it looks like it was leaking lubricant or whatever, and he said I should take it to a reputable place to have them fix the pinion.

Now I could see how what he described would cause a steady noise, but my pulsating noise seems like it would indeed be caused by the rotors to me. Any thoughts?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

I could be totally wrong, but I don't see a leaky pinion seal causing a noise. It could be the rotors. Since they need replaced I'd hit up AutoZone and pick up a set of Duralast rotors. They list for $61.99 ea. They seem to be the best bet for affordable stock replacement. If that fixes it then great, if not look elsewhere.

I've also had tires that were oddly worn make similar noises to that...Just a thought.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on the site for "pinion seal" or "pinion seal leak" or pretty much any derivative of it. You'll find many people who wish like hell they'd put up with a little seepage from the pinion seal. Several members have had rear ends go out because of a shotty seal replacement. There's also horror stories about having it done at a reputable shop. Not trying to discourage you, just giving you a heads up.

-Jason
Old 01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

How do those compare to these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-19-2006, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

To be honest I'm not sure. The Duralasts from AutoZone are stock replacements I.E. no drilling/slotting. Do a search in the brake section and you'll return countess searches with the debate over cross drilled, slotted and drilled/slotted rotors. Really it's up to you. I just threw the Duralasts on mine partly because the 4th gens are notorious for warping rotors and they have a free replacement warranty. I'd put them though some abuse so when I had my car up on jacks to do the 9" rear I pulled my rotors and took them to AZ and got 4 new rotors for free.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are feeling a vibration in the pedal while you are braking, it is unlikely that the rotors are the problem. Warped rotors seldom make noise...

It probably is a pinion bearing on its way out. There is a front one and a rear one, they cost roughly $30-$40 each. They make all sorts of noise from wom wom wom to howls to whines - and it would occur all of the time (accelerating, decelerating, etc). Normally the only time you'd 'hear' a brake problem would be when you are applying them, because otherwise they are not touching anything.

Have you checked your rear end fluid lately? A lot of f-body pinion seals leak or seep, it is important to keep up with the fluid.

If you can't change the bearings yourself it can be a bit pricey. The whole rear end needs to come apart, so if you were ever thinking of changing gear ratios, now would be the time to do it.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by keliente
Unless you are feeling a vibration in the pedal while you are braking, it is unlikely that the rotors are the problem. Warped rotors seldom make noise...

It probably is a pinion bearing on its way out. There is a front one and a rear one, they cost roughly $30-$40 each. They make all sorts of noise from wom wom wom to howls to whines - and it would occur all of the time (accelerating, decelerating, etc). Normally the only time you'd 'hear' a brake problem would be when you are applying them, because otherwise they are not touching anything.

Have you checked your rear end fluid lately? A lot of f-body pinion seals leak or seep, it is important to keep up with the fluid.

If you can't change the bearings yourself it can be a bit pricey. The whole rear end needs to come apart, so if you were ever thinking of changing gear ratios, now would be the time to do it.
Yes, it is leaking. The guy told me so. Ok so the pinion/bearing is likely the cause of the noise. But the jumpy breaking must be the rotors then I assume.