Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up a 2001 Trans Am... general questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Picked up a 2001 Trans Am... general questions

I picked up a 2001 Black WS6 Trans Am M6 last month. It has 48,000 miles on it now. I've replaced the air filter with a K&N so far. Everything runs very nicely, I love everything except for the gas mileage it's getting right now (15mpg). I drive 95% city driving and almost always am under 2,000 rpm. I'm wondering if there are any simple things I should check or replace that could increase this. Also in general, what are some things I should be looking to replace now that the car is coming up on the 50,000 mile mark? Other than that, I only have a few other small complaints. When I brake above 50mph or so, the entire car seems to shake a little bit. Someone said something about "warped rotors," but I'm not quite sure what could be the problem. Also, when I start the car up when it is cold, giving it gas makes the car make a crackly noise that doesn't sound good. If I wait 30 seconds or so, its gone and I'm fine. Other than that, I'm loving the car, and would appreciate any suggestions for the problems I described. This spring I'd also like to consider modifying it a bit. However, I don't yet want to spend too much, as I'm 17 and headed to college next year. Any cheap mods that add a noticeable performance/convenience/comfort/whatever gain would be appreciated.

Oh, and of course...a few pictures

Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its the rotors and pads mine did it too. I get around 15mpg on street. Did you replace all oils, Depending who had the car last and if the took care of and didnt run it in the ground, you might need a tune up, plugs dont last as long as GM says. Car looks Good keep greasy side down
Old 01-19-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice looking car. if youre hearing it from the exhaust its probably just cold metal pipes...it happens...the warped rotors is probably true...but nice score man. beautiful car.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 AM
Teching In

it is definitely the rotos man. I just replaced mine with cross drilled and slotted and some high performance brake pads. Went away without a problem. As far as the gas mileage I thought mine had an issue too, but you shouldnt worry too much, it is a v8. A tune up wouldnt hurt either
Old 01-20-2006, 03:31 AM
Teching In

oh and get an airlid, smooth bellow, and slp CAI. You can get those for cheap on ebay, or from ws6store. Those won't break your pockets. Roughly around $150-200 there. Some easy HP
Old 01-20-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is your rotors. dont get cross drilled they are overkill, get some nice regular rotors that dont cost more than $100 a piece and some ceramic pads and your car will stop like a dog hitting the end of a chain.

yeah cold pipes, mine do it too and i have less miles.

um gas mileage, headers and an intake and a good tune could get you to 20 mpg. other than that remember "it takes gas to go fast"
Old 01-20-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the nice car! looks very good. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. New car, college next year, bad gas mileage that makes me worry.

My car has 51,000 on it and has had a full service and still only get 15mpg. I guess thats jsut the way mine is. You could always change shift patterns to likw 1-3-5-6 or something to keep rpms low. As for cheap noticeable mods I've been looking for the same thing and have come to the following conclusion-

lid, k&n intake, smooth bellows, ported tb, ssra, and exhaust cut-out. Are some of the best bang for the buck mods on a completely stock car. I'm going to do all of those, then maybe go for a stall... but I'm kinda scared of my mpgs getting any worse. You can also do suspension parts to put the power to the ground, but that might hurt you on an M6 LS1s don't have the best rear-ends.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I was your Neighbor I'd know where to get my Christmas tree

Rotors on Fbods suck from GM, replace them with some Powerslots and Delco pads. Delco pads dust the least and are quiet, trust me I have alot of track time on my car and that's all I run. So my rotors and pads are track proven with heavier than normal braking compared to everyday driving which I also do.

Exhaust can make noise when cold, mine backfires, pops and does all weird stuff but it's also not legal

Have fun with it, they are very fun cars.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by racer88
If I was your Neighbor I'd know where to get my Christmas tree
Old 01-20-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Yes sir! Here in FL they truck them down from NC and cost a mere $50 min that was last year, with the fuel costs this last year trees started at $75 for a 6 footer and were priced to $150.

Needless to say we got a little fat f*cker this year for $60