Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About buying an m6

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 07:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About buying an m6

Well I have decided there is no way that I want an a4 because I would never be completely satisfied with my car if I did. The only problem is i've never owned a manual before. I have droven 2 manuals in my life. The first car(actually a truck) I ever drove in my life when I was 15 was like a 4-speed toyota truck, except I was driving it off-road. I almost seemed like a natural at it surprisingly.

What I'm worried about is actually buying an M6. I'm not sure that I could actually tell if the tranny was good, or the clutch was bad, or anything like that. I also have never floored it in a manual car and actually WENT through the gears, i've always been kind of driving slow in them. Most dealerships around here are out to **** you over, so I'm concerned.

First off, what kind of things should I look for while test driving one of these cars? What kind of noises, feels, and such should I be looking for that would be bad? Secondly, what are the dangers of being a bad manual driver and trying to just rip through the gears for your first time, and what are some things that I should know?

I could see if my dad, who has been a mechanic for 25 years and basically all he has owned is manuals, would help me out. Although he seems to always be busy and I'm not really sure he'd have time to help me out on numerous cars.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Junkie

ask the salesman to drive and say that you just arn not that good at driving maual. he can rip through the gears or if you think that you can do it I say go for it. things to look for or feel I would say that if you hit the gas hard and the revs go high but you go nowhere it is going ot be a bad clutch or syncros in the tranny. If you get on it hard and then the pedal feels mushey afterward, the clutch may be going out.

pretty much if you drive it you will be abvle to tell if something is wrong.

If you drive it hard and not really know how to drive it you can kill the clutch quick. If the salesman drives it don't turn on the radio and listen for any weird noises. the rear end on these cars go out, and it will make some weird noises from the rear mostly a wine.

good luck
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

F#% the M6...!
Get an A4 & stall it....

M6's are fun to drive & get killer gas mileage... But i don't think that anyone would argue the FACT that an A4 Stalled along with cam, bolt on's is a better choice.. ( Flame suit on)...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

listen for a grinding and scratcy noises, as i didnt really notice it when i bought it and then i go to put it in reverse after i bought it and there wasnoreverse.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your unsure about an A4 or M6 LS1, test drive both and see which you like the best. When I was looking for my f-body 2 years ago, I was actually looking for an M6 and wanted nothing but an M6. But I took the time to test drive both and the A4 is actually a very good tranny. Nothing wrong about it, especially when a high stalled torque convertor is added. That's just my 2 cents because I thought I was sold on the M6 as you are. Also another reason why I decided on an A4 is because I live in Columbus, Ohio. I go to college in the middle of downtown and with all the traffic I encounter, the A4 prevails over the M6 in traffic. If I had gotten an M6, it would suck driving through traffic up there everyday as a daily driver for me. Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

To test holding power of the clutch put it in a higher gear say 5th on the highway, and floor it!!

If the RPMs rise faster than your acceleration then your clutch is bad. Flooring it in the higher gears puts the HIGHEST load on the clutch and that will be the tell tale sign.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I agree drive both transmission before you totally throw out the A4.. I have owned both A4 and M6 LS1 f-bodies.. And a cammed and stalled A4 is downright wicked.

Back on topic.. One way to check to see if the clutch is slipping is to put in in 6th gear at about 40-45MPH and floor it. If you RPMs rapidly, your clutch may be slipping

Last edited by Joel_SS; 01-20-2006 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
I agree drive both transmission before you totally throw out the A4.. I have owned both A4 and M6 LS1 f-bodies.. And a cammed and stalled A4 is downright wicked.
He is not asking what is better!!! he is asking for advice on how to check the condition of a M6

Please refrain from the A4 M6 debate.... its a topic that is beat to death!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

my son has had 3 ford lightnings(he has never drove a manual) & he loved them until he had a ride in my m6 camaro!!! guess what he drives now!!! thats right a 99 camaro ss m6!!! he loves the manual & is doing very good at learning how to drive it.so just take your time in learning how to handle the m6 & you will be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If youre worried about driving stick on your test drive, have the salesman drive it to a less busy part of town and switch up with him. Play around with the clutch a little and find the spot where the car is about to stall and then give it some gas. In my experience, it's been very easy learning stick on these cars. And if you can, find someone who has a m6 ls1 and ask if you can practice a little on their car to get a feel for it. Good luck.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing to worry about Its so easy on these cars you just have to get use to the release point. All you have to do is slowly release clutch and the car will pull itself and then the skip shift will kick in and guide you to 4th. These motors are have plenty of torque to where you can get the clutch out at 1500 rpm. When you drive the car make sure gears are smooth and clutch pedal doesnt hit floor. As these guys said you'll know when your driving it. Make sure you buy the Warranty!!!!!

P.s. Get a short Stick Shifter its a must!! That anemic factory shifter kills your gears

Last edited by 8GTOKLR; 01-20-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
If youre worried about driving stick on your test drive, have the salesman drive it to a less busy part of town and switch up with him. Play around with the clutch a little and find the spot where the car is about to stall and then give it some gas. In my experience, it's been very easy learning stick on these cars. And if you can, find someone who has a m6 ls1 and ask if you can practice a little on their car to get a feel for it. Good luck.
that is what i would do. I own an M6 and drive through some super heavy traffic and i would not trade it for all the A4s out there. And if you find one u really like they will usually let u take it home for 24 hours. Let your dad look at it then or another mechanic u trust. your gonna love it dude
Old 01-20-2006, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for everyone that has helped, although when I posted this I figured it would turn into an A4 and M6 debate lol. I know what an a4 with a stall feels like, my friend has one. I've ridden in a 6-speed ws6 and I loved it more than anything, although i'm more of a camaro guy.

Anyways, so the clutch should not touch the floor when pushed in all the way? Also when I take off from a dead stop, I just ease out of the clutch and give a little bit of gas right? And about the mushy pedal, it seemed like the previous trucks i drove that had manuals(92 ford ranger, some toyota) had a kind of "mushy" pedal. Another thing I'm not really sure about in manuals is going around turns and coming to stop lights and such, if i'm coming up to a stop light would i just put it in neutral then start back in first again?
Old 01-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

For the first few days of driving stick, say your going 45, and the light turns red. Push the clutch in, pop it in N and brake reguraly, then put it back into first and hold the clutch at the friction point while sitting at the light. Once you get used to the car, start down shifting, using the tranny to slow you down, say your in 4th, and have to stop, push it in third, the car will go "URRRRR" ( rev up a bit and slow ) then go into second, then first, and finaly clutch and brake to a stop... Then you can start double clutching and rev matching and all that fin stuff.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterY2KZ28
F#% the M6...!
Get an A4 & stall it....

M6's are fun to drive & get killer gas mileage... But i don't think that anyone would argue the FACT that an A4 Stalled along with cam, bolt on's is a better choice.. ( Flame suit on)...

For the 1/4 yes, but for auto-x NOWAY. All depends on personal preference, but I blow the doors off A4's on mountainous terrain. U gotta love shifting, but you must define your usage intentions and then make a sound decision. Once you master the speed-shifting technique, you'll see an A4 is floor-it, and let the tranny do all the work. IMO, not much fun, but shifting in the city is a PITA.

All I can say is if you intend on racing on the dragstrip, then you definitely want an automatic w/stall fa sur'

Confirmed M6 owner
Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

I am in the exact same 100% situation as you. Although I already found a car that is M6 and have only driven manual once, but I understand completly how they work. I think as long as you understand they work you cant really screw up taht much. Just remember to give it gas if it starts to die.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Don't give it too much gas though, if your in a parking lot or something, maybe push the clutch in a bit more.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah you dont wanna be roasting the tires in the parking lot haha. You just gotta find that sweet spot where the cars about to stall then just tap the gas a little and there you go.

Sgt Spuds- is it really a good idea to downshift? I've always heard that its better to just put it in N instead of putting more than needed wear on the other parts. Cause arent brakes cheaper to replace than a clutch and tranny?
Just wondering your guys opinions, I dont wanna go kill my clutch the first day I get my car.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
find someone who has a m6 ls1 and ask if you can practice a little on their car to get a feel for it. Good luck.
LOL does this work? Can I practice on yours? lol I'm guessing not many people would have much success with finding donor cars there but maybe I'm underestimating the kind spirit of ls1 owners. Can I use someones car to practice doing donuts?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
Make sure you buy the Warranty!!!!!
hmm I'm not sure about that one. Most of those warranties are pretty scammish. Only covers the exact parts listed on the policy. The cheaper packages leave out alot of parts that you would still have to pay to repair yourself. The expensive packages cover more parts but are alot more expensive. Read the fine print on what's actually covered before you buy that overpriced warranty.