Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97-98 -> 99+ Valve Cover Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 97-98 -> 99+ Valve Cover Conversion

Getting everything together for my ls6 head swap...

Anyone know if the bolts that secure the coil packs to the 97-98 valve covers will secure the coils to the center bolt valve covers? ..or do I need new/different bolts.

Also, will my exisitng bolts that secure the valve cover to the head work on the new ones?

I'm kinda confused becuase I don't know how it is all put together...coils bolt to bracket, then bracket bolts to valve cover? ...If they bolt the the coil bracket, do they need nuts to secure them?

TIA
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 99+ valve covers don't have places to bolt on the coilpacks. You have to buy coil pack mounting brackets, mount the coils on them, then mount the brackets on the valve covers. You do not need nuts for bolting on the coil packs either.

There is only 4 valve cover to head bolts on the 99+ as well. They are longer and have an 8mm head.

And just a hint, if this is going to be installed in an f-body, do NOT install the very back bolt for the coil pack rail on the passenger side. It is the biggest pain in the *** ever to remove it while it is on the car
Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks..any idea if my existing coil pack bolts will work on new valve covers?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes they will.
BTW if your buying the coil brackets brand new, they don't come taped for the bolts.

Quick Reply: 97-98 -> 99+ Valve Cover Conversion