Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting cat's tomorrow...

Old 01-20-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting cat's tomorrow...

Stinks... but failed emissions this week so I've got to do it.

Gotta love spending money to make the car slower.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

They do visual? Pay to have the codes deleted if they don't
Old 01-20-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Believe it or not, but I had the codes deleted - even made a special trip to MTI for it last weekend. The diagnostic machine at the testing center flipped out and couldn't communciate with my OBDII so they had to tailpipe test. Guy said even if the computer had communicated he would have failed me because of the gas smell! (he did a visual cat check) That focher...
Old 01-20-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

**** I am getting the codes deleted for my cam, already had them deleted for the cats, I hope this **** works when I go. Do you know the guys who did the inspection? Is there anyway they can look the other way on it?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could work for you... apparently what happened to me just happens occassionally, sometimes a given testing center's computer just can't communicate with any random OBDII. When that happens they default to sniffer test. Sniffer test = BAD. I was 10 times over the limit for hydrocarbons at idle (but passed at throttle!).

You'd have to find the right guy to look the other way. They could get big fines for doing that.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by hurley711
**** I am getting the codes deleted for my cam, already had them deleted for the cats, I hope this **** works when I go. Do you know the guys who did the inspection? Is there anyway they can look the other way on it?
There isnt a "code" for your cam. The "code" simply means that the rear O2 sensors are either showing reading like the cats are not working properly, or are not reading at all (unplugged).

Other codes that need to be deleted are thrown for other parts of the emmissions system that might cause you to fail.

Looking the other way is a crap shoot. Some places dont care and other places do. You can always try, its free, and if they fail you, just try somewhere else.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Looking the other way is a crap shoot. Some places dont care and other places do. You can always try, its free, and if they fail you, just try somewhere else.
Dont know where you are but in NC even if you fail they still charge you half then you pay the other half when you come back and pass
Old 01-21-2006, 01:20 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Dont know where you are but in NC even if you fail they still charge you half then you pay the other half when you come back and pass
That sucks. If you fail in texas, you kick them in the *****, do a burnout, and go next door
Old 01-21-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is how my inspection went.... opened my door, flipped on the headlights, turned em off, closed the door....Pass. I couldnt beleive it. Just moved to Texas about six months ago. been dealing with california laws my whole life.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it makes you feel any better (or maybe worse) I don't have to run cats but I'm going to anyways. They sounds so much better for a very minimal power loss. It is worth it to me.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got an ORY for 2 reasons...1. $200 cheaper.....2. Gives you a few extra ponies to the rear wheels, plus the guy deleted the codes and no SES light

Search this Thread