Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

weird dyno results???

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange torque curve - dyno sheet inside

so i had my camaro tuned and dyno'd today on a dynojet. the tuners used HP tuners software to tune the a/f ratio at 12.8:1 not sure what they set the timing at? i have ngk tr6 plugs installed & gapped at.035 because i am putting a NOS dry nitrous kit on soon. i am using size 37 racetronix fuel injectors.

anyway. the weird thing is that the rwhp was only 378.5 yet the rwtq was 452.8 > the rwhp seems accurate to me seeing how i am runnin a built turbo 400 rated to 1000 hp and a unlocked 3500 stall converter and a steel driveshaft rated to 800 hp. outback in the rear i have the stock 10 bolt with a 3.73 strange ring & pinion and auburn posi. the rwtq seems rather high to me at 452.8? according to the dyno operater this doesn't seem unusual to him seeing how my drivetrain is setup?

so what do you guys think?

they went WOT in 3rd gear at 2,800 rpm's (i have a manual valve body) which i am sure flash stalled the converter rather quickly at which time we got the high torque reading all the way down at 2,800 rpm's and then the torque fell of all the way thru till 6,500 rpm's at which point the peak hp was made. you would think that peak torque would come in at around 4,000 rpm's with this camshaft?

my compression ratio is 10.8:1 and my cam has 114 lsa. the lift is .581 on the intake and .588 on the exhaust. the duration is 224 @ .050 on the intake and 230 @ .050 on the exhaust.

what do you guys think is the reason for the peak torque of this dyno run falling short of where the peak torque of the cam should be made at? is it the converter? could there be any other reasons for the peak torque being made at such a low rpm?

btw, my corvette and my lightning were both tuned on this dyno as well. they did not go WOT with the lightning until 3,200 rpm's though because the auto valve body in the tranny would kick down to 2nd if you did. unlike my camaro the very second they went WOT the lightning did not make peak torque at 3,200 rpm's. the peak torque on it came in at 3,800 rpm's. my lightning has a 3,000 stall coverter. i think the reason the torque curve looks normal on my lightning run is because by the time they went WOT they were out of the range of the converters ability to flash stall.
Attached Thumbnails weird dyno results???-camaro-dyno-resized-2.jpg  

Last edited by FAST FREDDY; 01-24-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:50 PM
11 Second Club

ok i have posted up the dyno sheet here now in my original post above. so what do you guys think about that torque curve? looks strange to me. anyway, the hp curve looks to be fine
Old 01-24-2006, 01:30 PM
11 Second Club

ok, i think i have figured this out for myself. my camaros 3,500 stall converter has a higher stall ratio at 2.5 than my lightnings 3,000 stall which only has a 1.8 stall ratio. so that bein the case the camaros converter hits harder at a lower rpm compared to the lightnings converter even though the lightnings has 500 rpm's less stall. the lightnings converter is more efficent at higher rpm's though than the camaros converter because it is a lock up converter. the dyno sheet below is from my ford lightning which was on the same dyno as my camaro
Attached Thumbnails weird dyno results???-scan0001-resized.jpg  

Last edited by FAST FREDDY; 01-24-2006 at 01:36 PM.