Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Headers..help w my application

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Headers..help w my application

Alright SO, its time to look at some headers for my 98TA convertible. I currently have a lid+loudmouth catback. It is lowered maybe 1.5in front and back (not really sure on the drop but I do know its dropped) and I have a Spohn tranny mounted TA. Im looking for LTs.

Im not exactly looking to blow a whole lot of money so I am looking at some Pacesetters. My question(s) is will I have trouble with clearance with LTs? What type of Y-pipe will I need? Should I splurge and get coated or are the black finish fine? Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:23 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Pacesetters tuck up really nicely. You should be alright, as far as the y goes. You may run into some clearance with a catted y. But with an ORY you will be fine. Go with the coated ones...definitely worth it.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see that a lot of people have used ORY pipes...does it not matter that they are off road? Im looking to stay emission legal. Is that the only difference (the cat) between the ory and y pipes? Can I get away with an ORY? They do seem a few bucks cheaper...
Old 01-23-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecko70
I see that a lot of people have used ORY pipes...does it not matter that they are off road? Im looking to stay emission legal. Is that the only difference (the cat) between the ory and y pipes? Can I get away with an ORY? They do seem a few bucks cheaper...
Long tubes essentially wont be emmisions legal, weather you get ORY or not. Moving the cats from their stock location is ilegal.

The only difference as you stated yourself, is the cat. If your state doesnt have checks, then yeah, you can get away with it
Old 01-24-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know of a site that can give me emissions for my state? Ive heard they are just going to start using vans on the roadside here soon. How does everyone pull off LTs with an ORY if they arent legal? (Not questioning you but Im curious to see what people do)
Old 01-24-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ecko70
Anyone know of a site that can give me emissions for my state? Ive heard they are just going to start using vans on the roadside here soon. How does everyone pull off LTs with an ORY if they arent legal? (Not questioning you but Im curious to see what people do)
Luck mostly.

Some states don't test emissions they either use a OBD connection to see if the cars PCM says all the emissions stuff is working (as if it is then it will be fine as type approval means all new cars meet emissions). Tuning can get around this.

Sometimes there is a visual inspection also, so they get under the car and look and see if cats are present. Some people use cat casings hollowed out or something similar.

Sniffer test, this is a sensor placed in the exhaust pipe and measures the content of the exhaust gases. There is no way around this.

Some states are pretty lax in testing for emissions, but law CAN and DO and WILL change. So what is ok today may not be ok this time next year.

IMO you might as well run CATS. Yes they may slightly affect HP but if you get some good hi-flow CATS then the loss will be minimal. Random Technology even make metal matrix CATS which will not pose a restrction even on 500+bhp motors, but they are a little pricey.

The choice is yours. But if you do run an ORY don't be to suprised to eventually get caught and fined, because it will always be a possibility.

As for me, well in the UK there really is no option on cars newer than 1993, they MUST have CATS, so I'll be going for the TSP Catted Y pipe to begin with.