Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having problems with vehicle buying/selling with non-dealer car lot

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help... please-- car buy/sell matter

Alright guys, I don't know where else to go to ask this question or even get feedback on this, so I'm coming to you all!! Bear with me, as the story might be a little bit long.

So my buddy starts working for this comapny Motor Cars Direct--- it's one of those non dealer "nice car" lots, you know what im talking about. He's doing website or some ****. So I ask him if they can get me a car, and he said for sure, so I go and pursue getting a car there and they tried to get me into a boxster.. So I tell em no man, I'm a corvette/camaro guy, I want a z06 or something. So the manager im dealing with goes and tells me that corvette's are ****, and bla bla (typical porsche ***). Well, I find a vette in La Quinta and tell them I want this vette. So they said Alright, we'll do the deal for you. I had, at the time, a 2005 Nissan Titan-- I told the manager I owed somewhere around 19-20k on it. He said no prob, we can take care of the balance on your payoff. So I proceed to get a loan throught he place, got a killer deal on the vette---. About 2 weeks later (now) he calls me up and tells me "Hey man, your killin me, you owe 20,400 on the truck, we only agreed to 19,500" Which is total bullshit, I never once said an exact amount my truck had left on payoff. I was very specific with around 19-20. He then proceeds to tell me that I signed the contract stating that payoff was 19,500 and anything over that I would be responsible for. I asked the guy at the time of signing what if my truck was more or less, and he said dont worry about it, Tim is paying it off. So I sign the docs and whatever --- and the docs I signed, the manager said he couldnt get me financed since I didnt have a down, so he lied to the loan company and told them I was getting a warranty (which upped the loan amount to 27,xxx which would include the tax and whatever with the loan) But he put on the docs that I had a 48 month/100k miles warranty on it, and that I put 2500 down (Which both I didnt do/get). The trans is shot in this Z06, so I have to fix it and he refuses to fix anything on the car since "I found it". So now he wants another 900 bucks to cover the cost of my truck, but he already wholesaled it out.... How was he able to sell the truck without it being paid off? Now he refuses to pay my truck off and is saying that he wont until I pay him the 900, and if I DONT pay him the 900, he will take me to court and make me pay up to 9x the amount owed or something of that nature. Any help on this subject would be freaking great, I'm only 21 and I have no clue what to do. I'm up against the wall with finances, since living on my own and dealing with the *******. BTW-- I paid 1500 to them cash to "Do the deal" which covered their "insurance dmv thing" and other fees he said they had to pay. Please help!!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Get a lawyer, this could get ugly, especially since you've signed a contract with them. Although it sounds like you will have at least some ground to stand on based upon the discrepancies regarding your payments to him, etc.

Call a lawyer and find out everything you can and see if there isn't a way to get this resolved without going to small claims court.

In the future, sell the car yourself or go to a reputable dealer and get your own financing through a credit union, etc.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

What exactly is on the contract?

That's all that matters, IMO. Does the contract reflect the deal as you perceived it?

If you signed the contract, and he signed the contract, well, it's a contract. If the warranty isn't written on the contract, you don't have one. If your "down payment" isn't written, it doesn't exist unless you have a cancelled check.

You need to look at the line items on the contract, and see how the numbers fall out. Anything written and signed is going to be more valid than a "he said - he said" argument before a judge.

If you didn't get a copy at the time of signing, you should get one immediately.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

You can call during business hours, and get the payoff amount of any vehicle, I don't see why you didn't do that or at least check?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

That's probably one of the kinkiest deals I have ever heard. I'm in the business and I don't even know where to start. The dealership should have called for a payoff, and you shouldn't have signed anything that you didn't know was 100% correct.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you get finance in house or threw a bank?

sounds like you are both screwed...