Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP true-duals + Cats + under-axle extension PICS! (!56k)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 07:48 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TSP true-duals + Cats + under-axle extension PICS! (!56k)

Ok here's the story. Got these duals/headers in December 2004. 3" with x-pipe and 18" bullets dumped before the axle, if you're not keen on the system. This got VERY old after a while and I decided to do somthing about it.

It sounded outrageously good and loud and mean and all that BS, but it had to go. My neighbors have been talking to my neighbors that we actually associate with, and they weren't really pleased about it. They are very nice people and would never say anything to us themselves, but i respect their feelings and like to keep things nice around the neighborhood.

I started looking around and picked up these magnaflow 3" cat's from Ebay for about $55 each. I looked at magnaflow's website and found some really nice tips which i also picked up from ebay for about $85 each (half price compared to buying from magnaflow directly ) I printed out about 7 pictures of the system on DVST8OR's car and went and got a quote for the install and bending of a little pipe. Came out to $130. Another place gave me a quote of $240, so i kicked them in the ***** and left.

Exhaust noise inside the car is nearly quiet as stock. The car has a GREAT SOUND still, but is very quiet. You can still tell it's camming, but not like it was. I'm missing the roar a bit already, but i'm loving the peacefullness. It gives off a false sense of security, untill you rhomp the gas. It still rips just like it did before, I have not noticed any loss, even though i KNOW i did. The car drives alot smoother, my interior rattles have disappeared, and its got a much more refined tone. It almost has a bit of the ole' 4-valve mustang sound going on, which NOBODY can complain about

I might have them fab up some removable sections for the cats if i start to miss it one day. This way i can put the pipe sections in, and remove the tail sections, and i'll be back to the old system.

Videos:

Video from outside.

Video from inside.

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 01-28-2006 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:53 PM
That's what she said...

Yes i already noticed the tailpipes being off to the left a bit in the second picture down. A little push/tug and they are sittin purty now
Old 01-24-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have that exact system at home and was thinking about doing the same thing with bringing the dumps out the back. ill have to look more into that when i get home.

Jon
Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

hows the ground clearance under the axle, and why not over the axle

and im with you on the interior rattles, thats my only complaint
Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

That looks really good. It looks like you actually picked up a little clearance!
Old 01-24-2006, 10:04 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
hows the ground clearance under the axle, and why not over the axle

and im with you on the interior rattles, thats my only complaint
The ground clearance under the axle is better than anywhere else. Plus speedbumps are no sweat with under the axle, because by the time the bump gets there, the tires will pick it up over it

Not enough room for over the axle with 3", at least not with the funds I have. I really like the way the exhaust comes out and splits beside the rear end. When you're driving around behind it, it looks so symmetric and almost factory. I won't be able to jack it up and unload the rear suspension without unbolting the flanges, but its not really a problem.

Originally Posted by MikeG
That looks really good. It looks like you actually picked up a little clearance!
I picked up ground clearance where the dumps were, but i lost about 3/8-1/2" under the driver side cat. They had to tweak it sideways a little bit to make it fit, parallel to the ground wasn't going to work. It's got plenty of clearance for me!

Keep in mind that my car is lowered about 1" in the rear as well

HAL/QA1's are about to go all the way aound it with coilovers on the front.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

I like this idea, I may try this, only with 2.5" post X.

p.s. that looks nice.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice setup. I wanna do the same exact thing to my TSP Duals.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You took my idea! JK, looks great man, i have been talking about doing that same thing for a long time.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

damn dude thats kinda scary.....my car looks identical to yours and i am starting to get complaints from neighbors with my lanes true duals....i even had one come knock on my door while i was letting my car warm up one morning and she even threatened to call the cops. So i might be going the same direction as you! Now that i look a little closer i think we even have the same tires!
Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Blur who did you have do the work for you, and is that press bent 3in pipe? I love my sound but am ready for the exhaust to be run all the way out, just not sure who can do it around here. Thanks and it does look good.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

i would like to do something like this with a true dual setup but looks like you destroyed ground clearance, i would end up tearing my exhaust up here in pa.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
damn dude thats kinda scary.....my car looks identical to yours and i am starting to get complaints from neighbors with my lanes true duals....i even had one come knock on my door while i was letting my car warm up one morning and she even threatened to call the cops. So i might be going the same direction as you! Now that i look a little closer i think we even have the same tires!
People get fed up with it. It may sound great to you, but them playing their tuba in the backyard for a few hours would probably make you cringe. It doesnt matter how cool your neighbors are when your car fires up and **** falls off their walls. I know i'd be pissed off if i lived next door to a cammin *** LS1 with dumped duals and no cats lol. I have to back down my driveway, which is about 90 feet.It is DIRECTLY between my house, and their bedroom, there is about 35 feet seperating the actual walls.

Are you running Ventus front tires (cheapo discount tire job) and Nitto drags in the back?

Originally Posted by 02blkws6vert
i would like to do something like this with a true dual setup but looks like you destroyed ground clearance, i would end up tearing my exhaust up here in pa.
My ground clearance is fine. Unless you take this vehical to the deer lease, you're not going to run into many problems. I've seen y-pipes with clearance problems that make this thing look like a humvee

PS - Did you read that my car is lowered about 1" in the rear?

Originally Posted by 4.6gt-2-ls1ta
Blur who did you have do the work for you, and is that press bent 3in pipe? I love my sound but am ready for the exhaust to be run all the way out, just not sure who can do it around here. Thanks and it does look good.
LeDoux's Automotive in Port Neches did the work. 1602 Magnolia (AKA hwy 366), phone number is 722-3232. Take cardinal drive (hwy 69) toward Lamar U, take twin city highway exit after MLK drive, then take twin-city to the HWY 366/ Port Neches texas. Few miles down you will hit 2 red lights. LeDoux's is on the left about 50 yards past the 2nd red light. Talk to Kyle LeDoux, he's the one who built mine, also owns the place.

Tell him you want a system just like that red Camaro the other day

The bends are press bends, but not too much deformation. The exhaust gas has cooled off so much at this time, that it's not pushing nearly as many CFM as it does between the collectors/x-pipe, and doesnt really need 3" mandrel. Doesnt even really need 3" for that matter, I just wanted consistancy lol.

Make sure you bring your old exhaust hangers for the rear. I brought mine but no bolts, he managed to find some bolts around the shop and made it work.

I'm falling in love with the way it sounds guys. So much more refined than just the TSP system. Before it was almost like you could hear every cylinder fire off, now its a smoother tone. It actually sounds like a sports car now instead of a prostock

I KNOW i picked up at least 10-20 ft/lbs on the bottom, and it beleive it or not it actually feels faster up top too, I'm taking it back to the track soon, so i'll find out if thats true
Old 01-25-2006, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

after looking at those pictures, looks like you have more clearance than i do

Old 01-25-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

As soon as I saw DVST8OR's run out back with the removable 3 bolt flanges I new that is how I wanted mine as well. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:47 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
after looking at those pictures, looks like you have more clearance than i do
Hey now, ice on the ground is trick photography!

The only spot that looks low is that dip right before the X-pipe, which seems totally out of place. Your car's ride height is stock too, keep that in mind. I wanted to lower my car before i had the pipes run under so they wouldnt have to dip down to go under the sway bar. If you look at the pics they actually turn up a little before they even get to the sway. I hit some RR tracks this morning late for school going about 50 (they werent very big), and my suspension let out pretty far, but i diddnt hear anything at all.

I'd remove those U-bolt clamps and throw on some band clamps too. The bottom of that bolt snagging somthing could be fatal lol.

Are you sure yours isnt higher than mine??
Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

the U-bolt clamp is holding the hanger to the pipe, its a used custom made system and for some reason i didnt get the old hanger to reach too well, so i cut it off and and used a new one, but i dont have a welder nor do i know how to weld. so its clamped on, and in all seriousness, thats really the only place i scrap

Old 01-25-2006, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I know where Ledoux's is and I know 3in is not needed, but I also want consistency. I still have my tips on the car from when I had the LM catback. It runs from where the pipes join over the axle and is just mounted solid so there is no open holes in the bumper so hangers aint a problem. I will have to go by and talk to them, how long did it take him to do it? Thanks for the info. If you ever see a black WS6 lowered on stock wheels give a wave.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:28 PM
That's what she said...

Aight, will do. Have i ever seen you in nederland before? I know i've seen a loud *** WS6, but i dont think it was lanes duals kind of loud lol. Are you actually from beaumont, or the surrounding area.

I had to get scheduled due to them being piled up with work. Got in line like thursday of last week, and they did it yesterday. I dropped it off the night before, put my keys in the drop box, and went back at like 1:30 the next day as they were finishing it up. I don't know if they worked on it all morning or what, but i doubt it.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Looks Great! I am trying to find an exhaust shop that could go over the axle. I was even willing to go down to 2.5" Just so it would fit. But it was looking like a big PITA and no one I have seen would be able to do it. My car is lowered about an inch as well and after seeing yours I may take that route instead.

Quick Reply: TSP true-duals + Cats + under-axle extension PICS! (!56k)