Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help, Vibration in rearend

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Vibration in rearend

Hey guys,

I have a problem that is really annoying me. I have a vibration coming from the rear of the car. It vibrates mainly when I take it up to about 50 and hold it at a steady speed or when I let out of it when going that speed. I have replaced the tires and wheels to see if that was the cause. But the vibration is still there. It doesn't vibrate as bad when I am getttin into it, mainly when I let out of it. It is kind of a fast vibration that pulses in and out. It is kind of hard to expain. I have also replaced the driveshaft and u-joints. I am puttting d/s rotors on it next weekend to see if it may be a warped rotor. If anyone has any wisdom to share, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check out this thread, it may help point you in the right direction.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Old 01-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Could be the rear end itself - that's what mine did when it was going out
Old 01-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Teching In

I am afraid that it is the rear end, but thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by splack
Hey guys,

I have a problem that is really annoying me. I have a vibration coming from the rear of the car. It vibrates mainly when I take it up to about 50 and hold it at a steady speed or when I let out of it when going that speed. I have replaced the tires and wheels to see if that was the cause. But the vibration is still there. It doesn't vibrate as bad when I am getttin into it, mainly when I let out of it. It is kind of a fast vibration that pulses in and out. It is kind of hard to expain. I have also replaced the driveshaft and u-joints. I am puttting d/s rotors on it next weekend to see if it may be a warped rotor. If anyone has any wisdom to share, let me know.

Thanks.
Is it the stock rearend?? You seem to have covered the areas that I would have told you to check...except for LCA'S/Panhard bar/Sway bar and all bushings...other than those, I would lean towards the rearend is going out. Good luck, I hope you find it.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same 70-80mph vibration. I noticed it immediately after I had my Moser bolted up. All the bearings and whatnot should be new so I dont think it is that. I read another post on here that says when you do a 12 bolt you will have vibration until you replace your driveshaft also. I had D/S rotors put on at the same time as the rear end so it could be those also. Or, I was thinking that the crappy bolts I got with the relo brackets I used were generic and didnt fit flush in the provided sleves. Not sure if that would cause vibration but I sure can hear them clanking around when I go over bumps. I'm taking the car in next week to do LT's and having them check all this out at the same time.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem, with a stock 10bolt (whining like crazy) and aftermarket relocation brackets and LCAs, etc. It is exactly what you are describing and it seems like it is coming from the right rear, i have taken all of the panels out trying to figure out what it is, let me know if you figure it out.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Default OOOOch!!!!!

Hey guys i herd you are having problems with whinning from rear end, I had the same problem, (/10 of the time according the the performacne shop that hooks me up says its you rear end it was my rear end as well, My started whining then it strted clanking, the splines started to smooth out whcih is waht caused the high pitvh sound, at the track one night i hit it and BAMM! no mre axel.