hook ups on a Yamaha r6 or r1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hook ups on a Yamaha r6 or r1?

Anyone hook me up with an R1 perferrably? Don't know if any one works at a delear or owns a dealer just curious as to how low I can get one for.

thanks
Old 01-25-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes yes interested as well
Old 01-25-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a friend who may be selling his 05 Blackbird R1, I think he wants 10k
Old 01-25-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the insurance rates to, I just did. There expensive as hell. I want a bike, thinking about a R6, 05-06 possibly.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone stole mine, im sure you can find it in an auction somewhere

03-05 R6's Used go for $4500-7000 depending on mileage and condition. My insurance was 66 bucks a month, liability, theft, fire, vandalism,flood.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
12 Second SUV Club

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Someone stole mine, im sure you can find it in an auction somewhere

03-05 R6's Used go for $4500-7000 depending on mileage and condition. My insurance was 66 bucks a month, liability, theft, fire, vandalism,flood.

did i miss something ..... i thought you recovered it
Old 01-25-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya that is what I though also, that you recovered it ????

Daniel was you insurace in Denton or Houston. I would bet Denton, think Harris county would be higher ???

Heck if I could get insurance for 80-90, I would buy one. Thinking of a 04-05 maybe a 06 ??? was there a lot of changes in the 06 model ??
Old 01-25-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

My bike was recovered, but thrashed. So insurance cut me a check, then probably sold it at auction.

There is a NEW R6 for 06 then there is the R6S. The R6S keeps the same styling from 2003 + while the R6 gets new fairings and I believe diff. lights. Not sure all the exact differences b/w the 05 and 06 but im partial to the pre 06 styling.

Jet, my insuracnce was here in Denton, i doubt it will be a whole lot more for harris but dont quote me! Progressive was who I was with and they rocked, hands down.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Mustang Moderator

Starting on an R1 is a horrible idea!

Not my life, though
Old 01-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Stang Man
Starting on an R1 is a horrible idea!

Not my life, though

Yeah I contemplate that idea every second but I have 3 friends that have never ridden bikes all jump straight to R1s and We are all from the sports car group of people. They say I'll pick it up quickly since I'm driving a modded TA or just a 6spd in general. I'm a little weary but I have a good friend wanting to teach me the basics on his r6. Like just rocking back in forth with the clutch and in gear. Then work from there
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Mustang Moderator

I wouldn't even recommend an R6, but its a better beginner bike than the R1. Any newed super sport bike is gonna be a handful even for experienced riders. They are basically pure race bikes with lights and tags on them. Their geometry, suspension setup, brakes, engines, everything, is derived from the factory race bikes. They're really twitchy and unforgiving, but from what I hear can put a smile on your face for weeks if you can tame one.

That being said, its your money do what you'd like with it. I'd just hate to see you plastered on the road because the R1 was the "cool" bike to get.

Before deciding on a bike, take the MSF course. Sure, its about $200 depending where you go to take it, but it'll build a solid foundation to build upon. This will also get you a insurance discount, as well as substitute for the riding test at the DMV(Just walk in, take the written test, and they hand you your license.)

Can't forget the gear. Plan to buy a helmet and jacket AT LEAST. Gloves are also high on the list(how are you gonna stop yourself when you fall?) Boots are nice too, but not always practical.

Anyways, whatever you do, good luck with it. Just do your homework and have all your ducks in a row. Remember not only do you have to control a $8k +bike, but you have to make sure you don't get run over by one of the careless cage drivers that populate this earth.

Arron
Old 01-25-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I started out on my R6. I had riden Arron's old Honda Nighthawk 550 around a bit and kinda rode a 636 Ninja around the parking lot a few times. The R6 was my first real seat time on a bike. You have to respect the bike and the power it has. Seriously, im sure you have heard plenty of people say that, but the front wheel will come up VERY easy if you aren't careful. Not trying to be your mom or anything, but if you dont respect the bike and just expect to ride the **** out of the bike right off...then...well...good luck.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JETG
Heck if I could get insurance for 80-90, I would buy one. Thinking of a 04-05 maybe a 06 ??? was there a lot of changes in the 06 model ??
When I was shopping around I was told as long as the amount financed was less that 10k, then you dont need full coverage.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Aaron and Dan thank you for the advice. trust me I'm think very cautiously about it. Like my TA I'm very cautious in what I do. I think my age plus having gone off to war I'm very cautious in what I do now. I keep running scenarios in my head cuz I'm curious as to the weight. I've sat in the seat of the r1 a few times and kinda wondering about turns and stuff cuz I've hear horror stories. LIke you said about being plasterd all over the the place cuz my friend is already crusing at 150 and has only had the bike since this past saturday. I'm like WTF! I didn't do 150 in my trans am till forever and a day. Oh well like I said I'm kinda nervous yet anxious at the same time. I know that if I got an r6 though I'll get tired of it quick and thats what everyone tells me. So I'm going to see whats up and If I can even get a deal on one. If and when I do get my bike I'll like to go see you guys up in Denton. Aaron you have a bike right? Also Dan do you plan on getting another bike?

anyways hit me up anytime since I'm comming back into the car scene again. Just incase you guys didn't know my car is running fine now. No idle issue whats so ever now and I can run my A/C and the car won't die. Fires right up now too. I've been so down that my car would run but now its running
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I called progressive and checked on insurance for houston on a R6, mind you I have nothing on my driving recored and over 25. Progressive was 1800yr for libility,theft,fire,hail damage, full coverage was 3500. Then I looked on some local houston boards and found a guy with state farm, it was 65-70 for full coverage a month. That is a big difference, so if your in the market for a bike make sure to find out what other people in the area are getting there insurance from and for. I have gone out and looked at the 06 R6, and checked out the 04-05. The new on is just very nice but tagged at 9100-9500 depending on which color and stuff. The yellow is the 50th anniversary, but question will be will it hold any more value than the other ones ??? I really like the black one, so that it what I will probably get. But not sure on if I want to buy used 05 around 7K or 04 for 6K or just get the new and improved for 9K. Decisions decisions, I think the best place is to get on the R6 forums and find a dealer that is willing to deal, and just ship the bike. So I guess we will see, but I have talked long enough on wanting a bike and think this year is the year that I will in fact own a bike.

J
Old 01-28-2006, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

you won't get tired of an R6 too quick. In stock form it's still a high 10 second bike. If you start to get bored, you can always change the gearing. Makes it a whole different monster. It's perfectly fine riding around, shifting @ 6-7k.... Most of the power doesn't come on till 7k really. Then it knocks you back on the seat a little bit.

Even had it on the track once... Lowered and strapped.. The front end still came up a good 2 feet, 20ft. out of the hole... Brought it back down, banged the rev limiter in first.. Still ran a 7.3@102 . They're plenty quick.. Even screwing up on a pass. LOL
Old 01-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Yep I have an R1 comming into huntsville. I actually purchased an 05 r1 yesterday but the service tech accidently crashed it while coming back from breaking it in. The dealership has been scrounging around for a new one but its an 05 black raven edition.

well a long story on the bike but I have to jet.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

sweet.. ravens are cool
Old 01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Mustang Moderator

So the guy who rides bikes pretty regularly already wrecked your R1.

And as a first bike you still want to get on one?

The average life expectancy for an R1 is something like 32 days, thats how quickly they get totalled. (This stat is a few years old, and the new R1's have more power than the last body style, so I'm sure that figure has changed substantially)
Old 01-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Launching!

yeah I know. I plan on taking it easy and have some frame sliders on there as well. I know you guys think of me as a fool, but I really do plan on babying it. I had my chances to die already and the last thing I want is to go hot rodding around. I know the R1 have a lot of power but I do like the way they are straight riding bikes. I more and likely might even lower it too an inch or so (my bud tells me it is harder to accidently to do a wheelie on it)