Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Coil Packs Arcing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Coil Packs Arcing!

I went to startup my girl's Camaro tonight after she had had a bitch of a time coming up the driveway, ya I know shouldn't be driving the SS in the snow, but she has no other car, but anwyays.

When I started it, it was running like crap and I noticed she ran it down to almost empty and it was running rough and sputtering. The SES was on and as i started driving it began to flash on and off, so I got it to the gas station up the street, filled it up, and the SES still was flashing, I immediately drove it into the garage and it was still running like crap, sputtering ticking pinging. Upon examination I noticed the coil packs were arcing!

Has anyone run into this problem before??? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem some time ago. It turned out to be a spark plug wire had become loose from the coil pack. Plugged it in and problem solved.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check to see if the wires are all the way on. If the are, the they need to be replaced.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 12Gauge
I had a similar problem some time ago. It turned out to be a spark plug wire had become loose from the coil pack. Plugged it in and problem solved.
ditto
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my ole' s-10 blazer.

Most autoparts stores sell some stuff called "liquid electrical tape". Its in a tin can with a little paint brush. You brush it on, and let it set up. Do a few coats if needed.

How many of the coil packs are arcing out? It's odd that its more than one. Check the plug wires first, thats the easiest part.

Quick Reply: HELP! Coil Packs Arcing!