Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about FTRA

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about FTRA

I was reading the install directions before i buy and noticed this..

Installation Instructions:

Note: Installation of this product on factory Ram Air equipped vehicles will render the scoop in the hood non functional. This method will yield the optimal performance improvement.

ummm how is that possible? More air should come from the ftra then the SS hood scoop but the SS hood scoop should still deliver some air ... right ????
Old 01-27-2006, 02:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiTe2000SS
ummm how is that possible? More air should come from the ftra then the SS hood scoop but the SS hood scoop should still deliver some air ... right ????
Correct-a-mundo! Neither are going to work untill you are up to speed, so its not like you're "creating a pressure leak" or anything.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:37 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Correct.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

You're supposed to block off the existing intake slot and get all of the air through the FTRA. Therefore, the blocked intake slot makes the SS hood scoop nonfunctional. There are guys that run it unblocked. I run it blocked. I picked up a solid tenth and 1 mph improvement from the mod. I also briefly ran it FRA style and got no measureable improvement. To me, running it unblocked would make it similar to running it FRA style.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is the big deal about it anyway? I have thought that either would suffice.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or you can leave the block off part off. Like me
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Or you can leave the block off part off. Like me
You're an exception
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm confused on this. I have the WS6 ram air box. Are the instructions saying that a FTRA will render the stock ram air useless, but it is better than stock ram air so it is worth it. Or, are they saying to remove the stock ram air box and just use your lid and FTRA?
Old 07-29-2006, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

basically what there saying is that b/c you have massive amounts of air coming from the ftra that you dont get as much going through the ss hood b/c it already is getting flow from the underneath of the car.....however i belive this maybe accurate on the ss hood b/c of how the air is routed through the scoope but on the ws6 the air goes straight through into he filter (if you debaffl....which you should) therefore i would imgine over taking the air that must come throguh the underside of the car...my buddy runs the ftra scoop with his hood on his ws6 and he still noticed a gain at the track...not much but it was something
Old 07-29-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

since ur ss hood is useless anyways just seal the lid or go exposed air filter.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
basically what there saying is that b/c you have massive amounts of air coming from the ftra that you dont get as much going through the ss hood b/c it already is getting flow from the underneath of the car.....however i belive this maybe accurate on the ss hood b/c of how the air is routed through the scoope but on the ws6 the air goes straight through into he filter (if you debaffl....which you should) therefore i would imgine over taking the air that must come throguh the underside of the car...my buddy runs the ftra scoop with his hood on his ws6 and he still noticed a gain at the track...not much but it was something
I think I get it now. I have the Firehawk hood, so I guess I'll just block the ram air entrance when I hook up an FTRA or SSRA.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

the ss hoods don't do ****, don't listen to that crap, get a ftra and install it.......
Old 07-29-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Louie83
I think I get it now. I have the Firehawk hood, so I guess I'll just block the ram air entrance when I hook up an FTRA or SSRA.
u can use ur hawk hood for induction by getting a bgra and a volant cai. if ur hood baffles are still there take em out.