New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What To Check In A New Car?!

Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What To Check In A New Car?!

hey all, i still don't own an f-body yet and i'm learning as much as i can about LT1 & LS1 engines before coz i like to do things my own.. ok, here's the deal, everyone rushes on about what mods to start putting and the Newbie Guide to Mods and stuff, but i think it would be a good thing to see what things to do when you by your car, it's used so i think it's better to know that u have a good base to start with, like change all the oils in the car, do a general checkup and change the worn out parts, now for your experiance, what's the most important thing a person should check out when u get the car, a list maybe!! thanks all.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Check all fluids, and look at the oil change sticker, see when i'ts due. If it doesn't have a sticker, have it changed. Ask the owner what kinds of fluids were used..

Drive the car!

I look at the inside of a car a LOT when buying a car ( or taging along inspecting a car ) It seems that all of the cars that we have bought with ragged int's, end up being bad in other places. But some one that takes the time to shampoo the carpets, shine the leather, and just make sure the car looks good inside, has taken the time to make the car WORK good.

Some may argue that the outsides more important, but I dissagree. just because the car has rock chips on the hood, or maybe has been backed into, has nothing to do with how the car actual has been cared for....
Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Launching!

aha, thanks. that's a good note
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check in the engine bay, dont look at the top of the items; look at the cracks and crevices for dirt and grime ie somewhere a power washer can get to. Roll down the windows and see if one is slower than the other. The window motors are notorious for dying. Check to see if the taillights are foggy or one is lighter or darker than the other. That means the relfector part is pitted and leaking.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

get under the car look on the block for oil leakage maybe, if it's from a dealer in my experience i tend to stay away from " really clean " engines that you can tell have been cleaned at that shop ( you can usually tell if they use that engine clean shiznit ), that usually means it's was f'in ugly and oily etc. before they had it. so a untouched / uncleaned engine is what i like to see, b/c there isn't going to be any surprises. i'm sure alot of people might disagree but that's my deuce cents.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

this is some good info guys bump
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the lines where body panels meet. If they're crooked maybe they've been replaced. Look for extra paint around and on bolts/nuts/screws. Like where the shocks are bolted to the engine bay.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

do i smell a sticky maybe we should refer to this thread as " what to look for when buying a new fbody " EX: ls6 block, intake on later models, rare paint colors....and also things we are suggesting now. b/c i see alot of new users in the welcome forums etc. asking about cars they might be getting and so forth.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well car fax dur but everyone knows that. when you test drive the car. drive the hell out of it. floor it, hit some turns really hard, hit some bumps and listen for rattles n ****. and slam those damn brakes till you feel the ABS Click under your feet

Search this Thread