Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decisions.. decisions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default decisions.. decisions

i remeber seeing a thread a while back on this, but i cant find it... anyway what do you think would be a better thing to buy, a set of headers and a y pipe or a torque converter? i never go to the track, but i love "spirited" driving (borderline reckless i suppose). im looking at a H/C package down the road, but i have to do the boltons first (so far i have catback lid). messing around with the MAF or TB or Intake right now wouldnt be all that smart, especially with minimal power gains. I know a lot of people have tranny problems with TC's so i wont go all that big, maybe 2800-3200.. is a tune recamended with a TC? im just looking for opinions
Old 01-28-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a stall first. Now I have headers and a Y pipe waiting to be put on. I think you would want to go bigger then 2800 stall. I want a bigger one then I have now at 3500. Tunes arent needed but it all depends on how your car reacts to it. Mine is untuned as of right now waiting till after my header install. The stall will wake the car up more IMO. Maybe do both
Old 01-28-2006, 12:29 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a stall and you'll be able to outrun the 6-speed guys

I'd recommend getting a tranny cooler as well.

You could find a shop that does lifetime tunes (pay once, tune forever), or reduced cost re-tunes, and have your car tuned for the stall. Then you could go back later with headers, heads/cam, etc. I'm not sure what all is involved in this because i can tune my stall with my left foot
Old 01-28-2006, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Stall before headers, IMO.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its still worth getting one even though i never go to the track? oh and tires.. would i have to get a new back set?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by delinquent543
its still worth getting one even though i never go to the track? oh and tires.. would i have to get a new back set?
Yes, even with no track visits at all, the stall is worth it if you're looking for the biggest bang for the buck out of your A4 LS1. The higher stall will raise your shift extension considerably after a WOT upshift, and also 'slip' the motor into a much higher rpm much faster when punching it from a roll.

Only thing that'll give you a better gain for the money is a basic N2O kit.

You will need stickier tires to take advantage of the greatly improved launch with a higher stall TC.