Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gotta few questions

Old 01-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta few questions

My first big mods definitely gonna be a rear, I like doing things right, I don't wanna have a bottle fed 383 sitting out in a car with a busted up rear...

Now I need luxury items, or so I think. ABS is a must for a DD right? Is it just rear abs that's effected by the rear end? Seeing as how most of the breaking is done by the front brakes, the rear shouldn't lock anyways will it? Also, I have no TCS, so I only need 3 channel abs right? That is if I get it.

Now, another few things. I hate noise... I don't mind my loud car, I love exhaust, but hate cabin noises, be it slapping, or grinding... So I need to make this rear as quite as possible without sacrificing any real strength....

My car is a 1996 Pontiac Trans-Am, its a six speed.. Right now the motor is bone stick, but has msd wires, headers, full exhaust, short shifter, and a few other goodies, but nothing big... Its also got 136,000 miles on it. My plans include, in order

12 bolt
'moly drive shaft
rebuilt tranny
spec 3 clutch
TA
PH bar
SFC's

Motor work * 383 with like a 200 shot of n2o *

Now I know that sounds like a lot of ****, but I think I've got my priorities down right. I'm trying to work my way from the back of the car forwards. But my goal is to run in the 10's or better... I wanna be able to do 4000rpm sidestepping on meats and skinnies, lift the fronts a tad, and never have a worry....

So what I'm thinking is a Moser 12 bolt with posi from J&J, 3 channel ABS, 30 spline w/Eaton Posi, and 4.11 gears...

So, with that set up, and supporting suspension and drive-train mods listed above, will she last???? Will it be noisy as ****? How about turning, is a locker better than the posi? I don't want any howling or anything...

Search this Thread