Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

clunk from rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clunk from rear

I've had a clunk coming from the rear of the car for sometime now that usually occurs when I shift. I finally had a little time at work today and put her up on the lift to try and find where it is coming from. I've narrowed it down to the rear end or u joints. When I rotate the rear wheels there is a definite clunk coming from that area. I couldn't see any obvious wear to the u joints, but there is definite play somewhere? Possible broken pinion gear, posi, or what?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:13 AM
Banned

I have seen a good amount that have the worm gears strip partially in the Torsen differential. Which causes a nice bang
Old 01-29-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

I probably should have mentioned that I have the optional SLP auburn differential with aluminum cover.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J&J Speed Shop
I have seen a good amount that have the worm gears strip partially in the Torsen differential. Which causes a nice bang
I think this is the exact problem I have right now. My car is acting like I have a locker in it, loud pop when I take off and a lot of popping clicking taking slow tight turns. Pulled the cover off the diff and lot of metal flakes and a few smaller pieces of metal here and there. I assume a piece of metal has worked itself into a place it shouldn't be. Any way to fix this short of pulling the gears out? Maybe a dumb question, but if I were to continue driving it as is, should I expect the rear to go out rather soon, or might is actually last a while and possible work the piece of metal out and return to normal? Either way I know a 9" is in my future, but can't really afford one right now and kind of wondering if I should risk driving the SS in the mean time or just leave it parked.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/459080-need-help.html