New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying a TA, what too look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Considering buying a TA, what too look for?

I currently have a 98 GTP with the basic mods and am looking for something that is a little bit faster right out of the box if ya get what I am saying!

I have longed for a Firebird since I was five years old and believed it to be the car that the devil himself drove. It would be the first RWD car and equipped with a V8. I am looking for a 98+ TA WS6 (gotta love the hood! ) and have seen a few around but not sure if they are the right thing to jump on right away. Have just a few questions for you all if you don't all mind answering!

Mileage on a car isn't something that I am typically concerned about but at what point with these cars do they really start to see problems? Engine/tranny failure anything like that, I know that it is always a different case with every car you look at because it all depends on how the previous owner(s) treated the car. For something being a 98 - 02 I really would be surprised if it had more that 125k on the thing, I know glancing in the auto classifieds section here that most of them typically have between 50 - 70k miles which is safe to assume they werent a winter beater!

With modding the LS1 engine is there a real big advantage with having a Auto vs Manual? There more abuse that one can take over the other? With the GTP you are obligated to take the auto and when you are into the low 13's high 12's a tranny is the next thing that has to be considered for the car. Any opinions on this?

Final question really, and I hope not to personal, what do most of you pay for Insurance and who do you go through? With the GTP I pay $200 a month and that is with about 4 tickets which is the cheapest next to $300. IIRC I remember reading somewhere that someone said they got full coverage on their TA through Hagerty (sp?) for $50 because of the cars now being discontinued the later ones are now considered collector models, or maybe this was just under a special situation. I don't want to have to spend more on insurance than I do on the car, but if it isn't that big of a gap I suppose I could deal with it. Covering a awsome looking car with liabilty just doesn't cut it for me!

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Auto vs Manual is a never ending arguement. There are excellent points on both sides, and it's truely a battle with no winner. Just go with whatever trans type you like best, there are an equal amount of strenghts and weaknesses for both, so just pick whichever you like to drive better. Read some of the M6/manual vs A4/auto threads in this section if you want further info.

As for insurance, the price you pay will range greatly depending on your loaction and age. There are also many threads in this section with people posting their insurance rates at various loactions, ages, and driving records. Try looking for those.

Lastly, a properly maintained LS1 will run a very long time. 50-70K miles is nothing if it was cared for properly.