Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

d1sc vs pt76gts

Old 02-01-2006, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d1sc vs pt76gts

I've been thinking about this for a while now. Both of those units have similar peak power. But the blower is obviously gonna see full boost much later. A pt76gts on our motors usually sees full boost by around 3500 rpm i've heard. While with the procharger you have to wait till redline. Would that give the turbo a big advantage from a dig or slow 10mph roll? How bout let's say a 60mph roll? Is a turbo really that much more efficient to justify the price? The D1SC procharger kit just seems so complete.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO
turbo>supercharger.
enough worth for the cost.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

and no power loss from being crank driven as well.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

But when you buy a procharger, you get everything. When you buy a turbo, you basically just get a tuner kit. You still need fuel pump, injectors, and whatever else i forgot. It seems there's so much less hassle with a blower. That's why i want to know. If a 700rwhp d1sc blown ls1 went against a 700rwhp let's say pt76gts boosted ls1. How would the race go?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The turbo will probably end up making more tq than the S/C too.

No FI kit is complete S/C kit, you'll end up getting more pulleys, or an SDCE kit to stop your slipping s/c belt, bigger injectors cuz you maxed out the 42.5's....and on and on. My procharger was a hassle to get dialed in and running right, but after dialing it in, it was great.

Break out the welder and do a truck manifold kit, that'll save you some cash, plus it'll be dead reliable and make plenty of power.

Being a s/c'er to turbo convert, I can tell you that I'm having more fun with the turbo. More power is a turn of a **** away if needed too. No pulling the s/c'er off and swapping pulleys/belts which is a hassle at the track.
J
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, but with the truck manifolds you lose your a/c. I personally never use it myself, but other people do. Plus i've never welded before. And i do agree that you have to upgrade your componenets with a blower, but with a turbo there's nothing to upgrade. It doesn't come with anything. It comes with the bare minimals. It teases you. It tells you. "This is what i am bitch. I make lots of power, i give you goose bumps. But you can't use me untill you buy thousands of dollars of additional equipment". I was looking at turbo kits, and all are 6k+. And hi flo is not gonna be taking more orders untill i grow foot long hair out of my ears.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

buy a turbo kit for ~5k. buy 60# mototrons for 350$, and racetronix pump kit for $250. install it...plan on ~$1000 misc if u buy a kit, and get it tuned for 500$. OR....buy a DISC from JandJ Speedshop (sponsor in my sig), who is currently doing a special for a super low price. add $500 for a tune, max out that setup (which wont be as high as turbo, but not as expensive), and start to buy extras once ur bored with that. (pulley, 8rib, injectors etc).
Old 02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

I wish there was a turbo kit for 5k. I talked to PTK, but their special ended yesterday, and i didn't have all the money. I need something to keep the a/c, and doesn't go under the k member. But also doesn't use stock manifolds, and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Those kits are quite expensive. And the d1sc it sais is good for 925hp. I wil never see that much, because i'll probably always be running 93 octane, and lower boost, so it's not like i'm shoting for much. Maybe 700+ at the wheels. Alot of the cheap turbo kits can barely offer 500 when maxed out, because of the poor quality.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like ur aiming towards the DISC..... Seriously, give J and J Speed Shop a call. The BEST prices u'll find on a procharger kit. They can hook you up. Plus down the road if u want to be making some serious power, JandJ has a customer car with a DISC that is no joke. They really know how to set one up.

716 830 0506,
ask for Jason

...you will be happy u called. seriously just give him a call, and talk to him a little bit and he can aim u in the right direction for your goals and budget, and like i said, the prices are
Old 02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Lol. I'll give him a call tomorrow maybe, i gotta go to school soon. I'm still open though, it just seems that a blower has great potential, and won't break your wallet. And a turbo if it's cheap, is a piece of crap for lack of a better word, or way too expensive if you want one with potential and one that meets your criteria. Maybe i'll just wait for hi flo results, and hope they'll take more orders soon.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=If a 700rwhp d1sc blown ls1 went against a 700rwhp let's say pt76gts boosted ls1. How would the race go?[/QUOTE]

The turbo would put the hurt on the centrifugal car. More boost down low = more average horsepower = quicker acceleration. I used to have a stock block 5.0 notch and at 580 RWHP I had no trouble running with a buddies 660 RWHP YS-trim blown notchback from a roll or a dig. At high-high speeds (like 130+) he would pull me just because he's got a raw horsepower advantage when you're talking about both motors being close to redline, but otherwise I would always get the jump on him.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

From a roll given the same horsepower, the turbo will proabably win due to making more Tq. The turbo will make more heat too. The d1sc is very streetable, and while making over 600 to the wheels is a able to drive to local grocery for fresh produce. The procharger will generally be less costly than a turbo setup. Also less plumbing required because of the self contained lubrication.

We are currently hold a Procharger special.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Call Jose at forcedinductions,he may can get you a deal still on the PTK kit. Turbos>S/C, everyday,all day
Old 02-01-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister2k
I've been thinking about this for a while now. Both of those units have similar peak power. But the blower is obviously gonna see full boost much later...
No way, bro.

A 76GTS should be loads of fun, man!!! Go for it!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Unless you've got a forged bottom end, I think you stand a greater chance of damage with the blower setup... 'cause it'll take you more crank HP (read: cylinder pressure) to net the same power at the wheels.

I started out pricing and trying like hell to pull the trigger on a D1SC setup, thinking it would be cheaper and get to me faster than a turbo... but trying to locate the right bracket IN STOCK that wouldn't flex was a real hassle at the time... and the cost frankly wasn't that much cheaper. And the more I thought about it I just liked the idea of more power with greater efficiency... turbo, baby.

That said, you really need to be incredibly patient if you go the front mount route.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister2k
But when you buy a procharger, you get everything. When you buy a turbo, you basically just get a tuner kit. You still need fuel pump, injectors, and whatever else i forgot. It seems there's so much less hassle with a blower. That's why i want to know. If a 700rwhp d1sc blown ls1 went against a 700rwhp let's say pt76gts boosted ls1. How would the race go?
Actually you need a fuel pump & injectors for most blower kits. Having said that I'm real pleased so far with my new D1SC setup.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATI ProCharger eight rib kits require a new harmonic balancer made by another ATI (non related) company. It generally sells for $475.00

I would go with 60lb fuel injectors, which are more money than the 42lb injectors, but you won't be buying another set if you upgrade in the future for more boost. The 60's tune really good for a good idle and part throttle driveability.

I don't like the supplied adder fuel pump that some of the kits include. I would add a Walbro 255 hi pressure in tank fuel pump.

The tune that is supplied with some of the kits will work if the rest of your car is stock, but for most of us, we also have other performance added parts that would throw the supplied tune off. You can install the ProCharger and it's belt, but keep the stock injectors in it and drive to the place where you are getting it tuned. Just don't go wide open throttle, not even for a second. Once there, swap out the injectors and get the tune done. We've had people drive from several states away in this fashion to get a tune done, it won't hurt a thing.

What this means is: Purchase the ATI ProCharger D-1SC "tuner" kit, which comes fully complete, but deletes injectors, fuel pump, and the tune. (don't forget about the balancer) Bob
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Bob, will the above mentioned tuner kit come with the correct "non-flexing" J bracket, or will he need to get that piece somewhere else?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RW99
Bob, will the above mentioned tuner kit come with the correct "non-flexing" J bracket, or will he need to get that piece somewhere else?
What he said. And how much would that all run me?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RW99
SDCE offers a support brace for the old style 'J' bracket. This support however will not clear the stock sway bar.

The new Procharger brackets do not deflect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: d1sc vs pt76gts