Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TRT or Jose Advice on STS Muffler Placement

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Muffler Placement with STS

Need advice as to where to place the muffler on a STS system and why.1) Place the muffler before the turbo before the axle or 2) Place the muffler after the turbo bolted as close as possible to the exhaust side of the turbo.Which position would give me more power and why?What type of muffler (glasspack,spiral etc.) should I use for least amount of noise (do not like noise) and most amount of power.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd run stock Cats and put a Bullit in the I pipe(Loudmouth style).
Old 02-01-2006, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'd run stock Cats and put a Bullit in the I pipe(Loudmouth style).
Due to how loud mine got when I removed the cats (Had to because the 2-step) I have considered this.... Thinking same thing "Bullit in the I pipe"
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default I Pipe Muffler Placement

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Due to how loud mine got when I removed the cats (Had to because the 2-step) I have considered this.... Thinking same thing "Bullit in the I pipe"
I am going with a bullit glasspack (3" in and 3" out) because I heard one on a STS car that was bolted to the back side of the turbo just after the turbo and it was just as quiet as my stock SLP SS muffler.Some people are saying that bolting it to the back side of the turbo causes too much back pressure and won't let the the turbo exhaust fast enough. Where is the I pipe on my 02 SS.Do you mean the long pipe that goes from the Y to the axle and if so that would be before the turbo.Some people say you can put it before the turbo and some say after the turbo.So, which is better and why.Also can I use a glasspack without sacrificing too much performance.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Default TRT or Jose Advice on STS Muffler Placement

Billy or Jose do you have reasoning as to where to place a 12" bullit (3 in and 3 out) glasspack on a STS system.Saw and heard one bolted to the exhaust side of a STS 67 turbo with a 12 " exhaust pipe after the muffler dumped just below the rear bumper.Sounded quiet which is what I am looking for.Some people have said you can put the muffler before the turbo in the pipe before the axle and some people have said it must go after the turbo and if so how far past the turbo should it be placed.Car is stock 02 SS M6.Would appreciate your advice as to placement and type of muffler (glasspack bullit,spiral flow etc.) and expected perfomance gains or losses,if any.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have dual bullets after the turbo.
Most definetly quiets it down considerably.

I don't notice any difference in spool or power with or without the mufflers.
I built my exhaust system to be modular and removable so at some point I will dyno the difference between exhaust on and off in both power and spool time.

I also plumbed the wastegate in pre muffler to muffle that horrible shhhhhhhhhh sound it makes. Car sounds soooo much better now.

Magnaflow makes a round muffler as well that is packed and they offer even better noise control than the bullets.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I put a dynomax bullet in the spot shown in the picture. My turbo is modified a little bit and moved towards the drivers side of the car a little more than that pic though. It really help cut out the rasp and quited it down quite a bit.
Attached Thumbnails TRT or Jose Advice on STS Muffler Placement-ls1-camaro-pipes.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blackbird
I have dual bullets after the turbo.
Most definetly quiets it down considerably.

I also plumbed the wastegate in pre muffler to muffle that horrible shhhhhhhhhh sound it makes. Car sounds soooo much better now.

Magnaflow makes a round muffler as well that is packed and they offer even better noise control than the bullets.
By chance do you have a pic?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you still have the cats on, it will be quiet. If not, we have done a couple with the bullet mufflers in the "I" pipe. It helps some, but will still be a little louder than with the cats. I would try and use a good quality part. You wouldnt want anything to come out and get eaten by the turbo. If you want, p.m. your number. I have a car in the shop now with LT's, a bullet and turbo if you think you can tell anything over the phone. I doubt it will help you much over the phone.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

I should have the car up on a rack in a few weeks and will snap pics then.

I have tried taking pics with the car on ramps and you can't make them out well at all.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

My $.02 even with cats on which I do, it's way too loud without a muffling system.

The young guys might like it but if you want to hold a conversation in your car or not get a headache on a long drive your going to want to build an exhaust for the system.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default MufflerPlacement

Originally Posted by trtturbo
If you still have the cats on, it will be quiet. If not, we have done a couple with the bullet mufflers in the "I" pipe. It helps some, but will still be a little louder than with the cats. I would try and use a good quality part. You wouldnt want anything to come out and get eaten by the turbo. If you want, p.m. your number. I have a car in the shop now with LT's, a bullet and turbo if you think you can tell anything over the phone. I doubt it will help you much over the phone.
Cats are on the car.Billy are you saying I should place the muffler before the turbo rather than after the turbo when you are referring to the I pipe.Is the I pipe the one located after the Y and before the axle and if so why place it before the turbo.More power,better performance,less noise etc.?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

18" bullet right after the Y pipe BEFORE the turbo works great.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmister
Cats are on the car.Billy are you saying I should place the muffler before the turbo rather than after the turbo when you are referring to the I pipe.Is the I pipe the one located after the Y and before the axle and if so why place it before the turbo.More power,better performance,less noise etc.?
Right after the Y. I'll try and post a pic or two today.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Muffler Placement

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Right after the Y. I'll try and post a pic or two today.
Billy,wouldn't the muffler just after the Y impede the flow of air into the turbo and cause a loss of power and also create a possible problem with the turbo if some of the packing in the muffler ever came apart and went into the turbo.I thought you need all the air flow you can get into the intake side of a turbo in order to build power(spin the wheel) and the exhaust side was less important. Whereas if you put it after the turbo I wouldn't think it would cause a loss of power because it is on the exhaust side of the turbo or cause any hazard to the turbo because if packing did come out of the muffler it would exit the exhaust without getting to the turbo.Could the muffler being on the exhaust side of the turbo cause a backpressure problem that could cause a power loss or any other problem you might know of ?
Old 02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

The biggest reason people put it before the turbo is room. Its a little harder to use the muffler in the shorter pipe after the turbo. It would be a problem if anything got into the turbo, so that is something to consider. I have not heard of any noticable difference is performance using the bullet in the "I" pipe. You will have pleny of exhaust flow to spool the turbo up.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the STS kits really that loud? I mean, I consider my dynomouth not too loud, is a stock STS generally louder than a catback?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought mine sounded a lot like my old Borla with the fully open plate.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

if you can live with a dynomouth you can live with the STS.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 AM
TECH Addict

What about those tips that have a muffler type resinators inside will that help i was going to try some from summit any thoughts?????