Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Chewing up c-clips like bubble gum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chewing up c-clips like bubble gum.

So my Turbo Buick rearend (the good kind of 10 bolt) is wearing out the c-clip on the passenger side. The axle grooves itself pretty good into it after a few hard passes at the track. Anyone else experience this? I've just been replacing them as needed.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Teching In

I would say it's time to put a set of c-clip elims. on the car. The problem could be that the end play, even with new c=clips, is causing the added wear.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What do you mean it is wearing it out ? Is the c-clip wearing on the OD, ID, or one fo the faces ?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
What do you mean it is wearing it out ? Is the c-clip wearing on the OD, ID, or one fo the faces ?
The c-clip itself is getting metal removed from it's face by the axle. Sorry I forgot to mention that it is only on the outside side of the c-clip (facing the passenger tire).
Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The c-clip should fit into a radial groove on the axle and into a face groove on the side gear. There should be no relative rotational movement between the axle (and attached c-clip) and the face of the side gear on the diff. I don't understand how it could be wearing ????

Pics ??
Old 02-02-2006, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
The c-clip should fit into a radial groove on the axle and into a face groove on the side gear. There should be no relative rotational movement between the axle (and attached c-clip) and the face of the side gear on the diff. I don't understand how it could be wearing ????

Pics ??
As the axle rotates, I'm guessing that the axle is digging into the c-clip as best as I can tell. I've thrown my old clips away unfortunately, no pics.

Quick Reply: Chewing up c-clips like bubble gum.