Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need intercooler help for STS on a T/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need intercooler help for STS on a T/A

Im lookin to step up from 5-6psi to 8-9 down the road on my STS kit. Id prefer to run an intercooler instead of meth just for the added safety and reliability and then possibly meth on top after.

But for now i need to know what kind of setups work for T/As. Those bumpers dont give a lotta room for airflow. I dont want a cutup job on my new bumper. Ive got a cut one for track days. But im looking for a setup thatll flow on the street. I know ATI twin kit can work but how well do those do? Im looking for ~490-520rwhp at 8-9psi with the intercooler. So i need something clean, like the STS kit (it unbolts in a few hours and nobody knows it was there). I wouldnt mind spending $600-700.

Is there a way to scoop air from underneath or how about the openings under the turn signals. I also wanna look out for my radiator, traffic is awful here. Maybe i could just mount a camaro bumper?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted pic's in this thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/447310-switching-out-twin-high-flows-obx-fmic.html

Your going to have to cut something up if you want a FMIC......
They do have screens also so it will stop rocks and bugs and what not for the TRAFFIC your talking about......................
Your talking about the ATI twins.... they could work but we see them as a restriction in the ATI kit they come with and thats why people switch from them to a FMIC.

Kyle
Old 02-03-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey kyle was just looking at your setup a few min before you posted. Looks great, very clean. I wouldnt mind doing that, but how well would it function with a full bumper mounted up (no cut license plate or anything).

I figured the ATI kit was cheap (used obviously) and could work decent enough. It bolts in, right? and i wouldnt have to worry about airflow since they arent blocked as much as the FMIC. I know they arent very efficient but i just need something to help with the added boost.

btw isnt that bumper mount a seperate piece? So if I went a similar route like you did i could just replace the modified IC brace with a clean stock one and be done if i needed to return to stock.