Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Exhaust Good Or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Exhaust Good Or Bad

How Good Is The Hooker Does She Flow Good.is There Lot Of Retriction Or Not And How Can I Get Her Louder.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

From my understanding the Hooker is not too bad, the 2.5" muffler is good for upto 370bhp restriction free (that's engine bhp). I think their off the shelf cat back uses a 3" muffler but I'm not certain. If it does then I'm sure it would be fine for a full bolt on car and maybe even a mild cam as well without any major restriction.

As for sound, well it will never be the loudest. And this is the for the same reason it doesn't flow as well as some others.

The aero chamber muffler uses a large non-straight thru chamber to slow and supress the noise, this also inhibits flow (but as already stated, it shouldn't be an issue for most bolt on cars).

compared to this straight-thru glass pack Magnaflow muffler:

To make it louder try long tube headers and no CATS with a 3" Y pipe. Also a lopy cam will make it more audiable. However I have read many people say it never gets massivly loud at idle, only once you start to build the revs up.

If you want a louder muffler, you'll need a straight thru style one, such as a glass pack bullit muffler or straight thru chambered mufflers like the GMMG catback uses.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Launching!

What Muffler Can I Replace The Hooker With And Keep 3 In Pipe And Still Bolt On And Not Weld
Old 02-03-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the hooker cat back when my car was bone stock and it sounded quiet at idle and had a good mellow racy sound a WOT. i just didnt go back with it after the lt install because i wanted true duals. my friend got a cam, pacesetter lts, ory, and the same catback, and it sounds so SWEEEEET.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANSAM_2000
What Muffler Can I Replace The Hooker With And Keep 3 In Pipe And Still Bolt On And Not Weld
I might be wrong here (personally not a fan of the sound of the Hooker, but I know a lot like it ).

But isn't the muffler on the catback a single input and dual output just like the stock muffler is, thus giving you your twin outlets on each side of the car.

So in order to replace the muffler you would need the same type of thing else you wouldn't have dual tips. But these mufflers arn't straight thru by their very nature.

If you look at some of the alternative free flowing exhausts they use a muffler in the I pipe section of the exhaust before going over the axle, they then split into two pipes using a reverse Y piece to give you dual out puts. A SLP Loud Mouth or TSP Rumbler is of this nature. It means it's very easy to sway the muffler out.

The GMMG setup is similar but doesn't have a muffler in the I section, it has two mufflers one on each section after the reverse Y split, so the mufflers are in almost the stock location, but each with seperate pipes.

In all it's probably easier to sell the Hooker and buy a different catback instead of swapping the muffler over.

But it depends what you want, a different muffler may well be louder but it'll also sound different.

If you just want part time extra noise get an electric cut out and put it before the aerochamber muffler, this will by pass it totally and be just as if running straight pipe. Be warned it can be very loud, and to some a rather unrefined sound. But it will be cheap and at a flick of a switch you can quiet it down again.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Launching!

Can I Just Take The Muffler Off And Put A Slp On And Not Have Any Tips And Just Have The Slp Would That Sound Ok Or No
Old 02-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Slp Loud Mouth 1 Not The Muffler
Old 02-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I Get Mad When I Hear My Friends 04 Mach 1 With Flowmaster Sound So Sweet And Loud
Old 02-03-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

How you want your car to sound depends on a things such as your future plans. I have the hooker aero-chamber right now with Pacesetter LT's and the TSP ORY and a cut out in the i-pipe. when my car was stock with just the hooker muffler it sounded very good but very quiet. not MUCH louder than stock at all untill you got on it. However with the LT's and ORY. . . . WOW! the sound is amazing. very refined and toned at idle but when you get on it- its a lot louder. very good muffler if my .02 is worth anything. I'd say go with it! very good for the price!
Old 02-03-2006, 02:35 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

straight pipe.... XR1?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

i made the numbers in my sig through the hooker catback. no numbers yet with the cutout open yet because it ran pig rich when i had the cutout open.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

An exhaust cutout is what I did with the Hooker catback. I think the cutout sounds 10 times better then a Loudmouth catback,I've had both. The cutout also has less noise(drone) inside the car. You could have someone weld in a manual cutout and see how you like it, it would be much less then a new catback. Just my .02
Old 02-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Launching!

how much is the cut outs and what kind can you get and how hard is it to open the cut outs any info will help thanks. where would i weld them at
Old 02-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Launching!

can anybody send me pic of there cut outs on the car. would it hurt if i left them open because i would like it loud all the time and would it be to loud and get pulled over by the 5.0 im going to gut my cats this weekend if i dont gut them and put cut outs on it shoudn't be to loud.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it will be loud. But if you dont beat on it you should be ok. BTW...it will sound better if you leave your cats alone.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

so dont gut my cats and it will sound better and not as loud. but if i do gut them it will be loud as long as i dot get on it hard right

Last edited by TRANSAM_2000; 02-03-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Launching!

does anybody have a cutout i can get cheap
Old 02-03-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

FYI: Neither of these pics are of the actual mufflers used in the Hooker or Magnaflow catbacks, respectively. The principle may be the same.

If the search function worked, you would be able to read the flow data that was posted (or at least a link was, I forget) for various mufflers/catbacks. I remember the Hooker flowing very well (a relative term) and people in the dyno section posted results where there was only a few hp & tq drop with the Hooker as compared to straight-through via cutouts. That's impressive in my books.

Headers and ORY awaken the sound of the Hooker system, as does a cam. Most "loud" catback systems in stock cars are absolutely unbearable after LTs, ORY, cam, etc. Keep that in mind.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Banned

running QTP, ORY, and hooker catback...Never heard an LS1 sound this good running a Y pipe before, it's a bit quiet...Until you push your right foot down...
Old 02-03-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cutout goes in the I pipe which would be the passenger side where the back seat is. I think they're like $30.00. You may find one in a local auto parts or exhaust shop. I'm sure some of the sponsors here on this forum will have some also. You will probably need a 3 inch diameter cutout. Measure your I pipe to make sure. I paid something like $50. to have mine installed. My T/A is lowered so I jack the back end up a little to unbolt the cutout, it's just 3 bolts with nuts on the other side. I run cats so it's not to ungodly loud. I've never been pulled over by the cops.